Fuel Tank Selector Switch Issues/questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Tank Selector Switch Issues/questions

Alright, So I ran out of fuel twice in 2 months.
The first time it happened was at home. No big deal, just drove my car instead.
The second time was in the pouring rain, about 5 miles from home with my wife and 1 yr old daughter with me. No fun.

It was after the second time when I realized the cause of the problem. I haven't had a chance to try to fix it yet. I'm just running it as a single tank truck.
My diagnosis so far: I flip the tank selector switch from the front to the rear tank, the gauge shows the actual level of the fuel in the rear tank (slam damn Full btw), but it never actually switches the valve. No matter what the dash says, it's still pulling from the front tank.
I don't feel quite so dumb anymore, but I'd like to be able to burn the fuel out of that rear tank. I'd put money the fuel that was in there when I bought it is red fuel. I topped it off before I knew what was wrong. It would SUCK to get dipped on a tank I can't even use right now.

Where is the selector valve located? I haven't had a diesel bath in a while, so I figure I'm ready to hop in and try to replace this bad boy.
Anybody done it recently? write-ups? tips?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by Amphibious; 02-02-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to freakyjlh
I've got a 96 OBS and it is located on the driver's side frame rail. With dual tanks, it should be located right at the front edge of the forward tank. Seems easy to change from what I can tell.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am not sure if the diesel is different but I had a gasser once that had a berry difficult to isolate fuel delivery problem. Come to eventually find out there was actually a filter inside the switching valve. In my case it was clogged and I had intermittent total loss of fuel (both tanks).

Anyway, my point is just that there is more going on inside that switching valve than most basic shop manuals display.

I would try to rig something out to temporarily change/swap the supply lines to the valve (front vs rear). That way you should be able to determine if your problem is in the valve or not.

Good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ps: with regards to possible red fuel, have you considered syphoning into working tank (so you can burn it up) or just syphon enough to check if red?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dual tanks, fuel, selector, tank, valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.