Hard cold starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard cold starting

i got a 94psd 4x4 7.3l. about 2 weeks ago my truck started having troubles starting in the morning when motor is cold. i have to crank it about 5 to 6 times before it will finally start up. during cranking there's alot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. when plugged in over night it fires right up. previous to 2 weeks ago i would wait for "wait to start light" to go out and it would fire right up after one crank, even when not plugged in and even when it was colder out. previous owner put new glow plugs and injectors in, or so he said. checked the GPR and it tested good and looked new. also while cranking the oil pressure gauge is down and after about the 5th crank it jumps up to half or so and then by the 6th crank it fires up. any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The wait to start light doesnt actually indicate how long the glow plugs stay on try waiting for a few more seconds after the wait to start light turns off depending on temps the glow plugs can stay on for 120 seconds.

If that doesnt work you can try getting a big screwdriver and cross the two big posts on the glow plug relay hold it there for a bit then go try to start it.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 PM

before this happened, no matter how cold it was it would start up right after the light went out. im going to try the screw driver on the post and see what that does
Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 PM

Check the oil level in the HPOP. Have your batteries load tested also, it takes a lot of CCA to fire off that furnace. The faster it turns over the more oil pressure build that fires the injectors.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:32 PM

Ill have to check the hpop level. Batteries are new, has plenty of crank power. I did the screw driver on the terminals this morning and it started up after about 2 tries compared to 5 to 6 times. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Try using 0-40 synthetic oil in the winter months.....the thinner the oil the quicker is will crank over and the more it will build fuel pressure on the rail as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Could also be that your starter is starting to get tired. It could be that it's time to replace or rebuild it. They over time can start turning slower and slower drawing on your batteries.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 AM

what i dont get is how when i put the screw driver across the terminals on the gpr its start right up. but if i dont it takes a while to start. this is with it not plugged in. as far as the starter it cranks just as good as when i first bought the truck. could something in my glow plug system be bad like glow plugs or the gpr or something else?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

that means that your GPR is shot. you can upgrade to the stancor commercial relay, pay a 20 bucks more than the oem one and never have to worry about it again
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandamo View Post
that means that your GPR is shot. you can upgrade to the stancor commercial relay, pay a 20 bucks more than the oem one and never have to worry about it again
even though the GPR tested good and all and it clicks when i turn the key on, it could still be shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.