Stuck in Mexico.... truck wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to freedomisntfree
Stuck in Mexico.... truck wont start

Hey fellas i need some help bad.... My truck will not start was running great and all of a sudden starting missing alittle and had trouble restarting. Engine just cranks and will not start, blows white smoke.. after a while of cranking it might start for a few seconds and just die.. Sounding really rough and obviously missing on a few cylinders or something. I have only a week left before i need to go back home. The UVC harness looks really bad and wires are dry rotted on the passenger bank valve cover. The rearmost connector has one pin burnt and the wires seemed to have made some contact with each other, the forward connector wires also dryrotted and possilbly shorted as well. Im leaning for that being the problem, but i would thing that it would atleast start and run rough. I know this is A problem but im limited here to what i can do. I need to rule out as much as i can before i dig in there. I have owned the truck for about 3 yrs and put on approx 100,000mi (now has 300,000) I have not needed to do any major work to it, nor have i replaced ICP or IPR. Im looking to rule these out if i can get some help on troubleshooting these. im going to purchase the valve cover gasket kit but i have only one shot at this to get parts expedited over here before i need to head back home..

Things i have done -

Replaced CPS (had black international one) - no change .. rpm s dont look like they move much still
Installed wires directly to valve cover harness with out the connector
Sprayed very light start fluid
Oil press looks good while cranking
No check engine light, no codes (check engine light will come on briefly after a while of cranking)
Checked codes with my small obd 2 scanner and no codes

I need to get back to the truck and dig around a little more .... any help is much appreciated... i will check back in in a few hrs thank you for your time

Last edited by freedomisntfree; 01-01-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomisntfree View Post
Hey fellas i need some help bad.... My truck will not start was running great and all of a sudden starting missing alittle and had trouble restarting. Engine just cranks and will not start, blows white smoke.. after a while of cranking it might start for a few seconds and just die.. Sounding really rough and obviously missing on a few cylinders or something. I have only a week left before i need to go back home. The UVC harness looks really bad and wires are dry rotted on the passenger bank valve cover. The rearmost connector has one pin burnt and the wires seemed to have made some contact with each other, the forward connector wires also dryrotted and possilbly shorted as well. Im leaning for that being the problem, but i would thing that it would atleast start and run rough. I know this is A problem but im limited here to what i can do. I need to rule out as much as i can before i dig in there. I have owned the truck for about 3 yrs and put on approx 100,000mi (now has 300,000) I have not needed to do any major work to it, nor have i replaced ICP or IPR. Im looking to rule these out if i can get some help on troubleshooting these.

Things i have done -

Replaced CPS (had black international one) - no change .. rpm s dont look like they move much still
Installed wires directly to valve cover harness with out the connector
Sprayed very light start fluid
Oil press looks good while cranking
No check engine light, no codes (check engine light will come on briefly after a while of cranking)
Checked codes with my small obd 2 scanner and no codes

I need to get back to the truck and dig around a little more .... any help is much appreciated... i will check back in in a few hrs thank you for your time
If the engine harness is really that bad then I think you may have already found your problem.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 AM

yes but i would think that the engine would still start but run rough on a few cylinders.... im looking for some help troubleshooting other possibilites besides that so that i can order the parts i think i may need, i have only today to order the parts before i run out of time and have to leave my truck here. im ordering the gasket kit /harness along with glow plugs .. i want to trouble shoot the icp and ipr but dont know how to.. I have removed the right side valve cover, the rear connector is pretty burnt. the wires going to injectors dont seem bad.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 AM

sounds like the time my lift pump went out it would start idle like it was skipping and then die
Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 AM

my fuel bowl seems pretty full tho??
Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

I agree with alwil.... That is your problem. Replace the under valvecover harness, valve cover gasket and pigtails on the outside. You are getting smoke, so the injectors are still firing somewhat. All of your parameters are being met. Getting RPMs so CPS is good, coldn't hurt to have one sent as a spare. The smoke means you are also building hpop pressure and the idm is firing the injectors. The PCM/ECU is sending info to the idm to fire. Must be just the uvch shorting.....
Sounds like you have it all under control..
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM

thank u ... that is the input i wanted to hear..... there are many things i assume but turn out to be A$$ backwards, i have two cps ... i pulled a good one out to put in the "new international updated" one on.. im ordering the whole kit that comes with pigtails and injector harness.. the other valve cover doesnt look so healthy either but the connectors dont seem to be compromised just yet. thnx for the info... and i will post back with an update. have an outstanding day !!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 AM

can anyone think of a way i can get my truck started with the valve cover off, i mean by bypassing the harness? i know its getto but, i really nead to hear it run and parts wont arrive till thursday or friday.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 AM

ok.... last post on this before i shut it down and call it quits... im wanting to wire up direct the critical wires in the harness inside and out... i think i can do without the glow plugs, if anyone has any suggestions plz feel free .... thank you and happy new year

Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So did you get the UVCH? or what were the parts you were hoping to get by yesterday or today? Also, you could definitely solder new wires to replace the ones you suspect are shorting, although it may cause fitment issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.