97' F350 230,000 being a pain in the...runs and dies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97' F350 230,000 being a pain in the...runs and dies

First post for me. I hope someone may be able to help me from their own past experience. Over the last year or so the truck will be going down the road and jerk or die once or twice in a row and then fire back up without doing anything and keep on going down the road with no other symptom for a month or months. Recently it got to the point that it would die and not come back on. I would pull over, shut key off and then it would restart. Then this turned into it dying and not wanting to restart for 10-30 minutes. While its not wanting to start the "wait to start light" does not work. When the wait to start light comes on again it will fire everytime and drive like a dream for sometimes as little as 3 minutes and sometimes as long as it takes to get back home. A week ago I unhooked batts and put a new IDM relay in. It ran like a top for 200 miles but has sense started to do the same thing again. Seems like something electrical to me. IDM, PCM? Any suggestions. I just had ford put a new CPS in (died on my way home from dealer) and I am not blowing any fuses. Just changed oil and fuel filter. After 230,000 miles I am confused why she is being so stubborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

welcome to the org buddy!!!!!

well i would say cps but you replaced that. and maybe the fuel heater in the fuel bowl but most of the time when that goes the truck will not start at all untill its replaced.....someone else will chime in.

good luck
Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still Working on it....

Thanks for the reply and the welcoming. I am a huge blue oval guy who has never been left on the side of the road until last Monday. I am glad to get some response on here I was wondering if it was even going to happen. I had one other response on another guys thread. He suggested fuse #30 under the dash may be lose or getting a bad connection. He had that problem with the same symptoms as I. Its got to be something simple. I don't see how it can run so perfect one minute and not at all the next. And what ever it is, is directly tied into the wait to start light circuit. Cause when the truck wont run the wait to start light wont work either.

Come on Robert WhiteFORD !!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
PCM. the dead give away is the WTS light not working
Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

scan it for codes, i hate that that is the generic answer for everything but you will get an immediate answer in a situation like this
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

Like mentioned above. Fuel bowl heater. Disconnect it.. It could be going bad, shorting enough to draw power from the PCM without blowing the fuse. See if that helps you out. It is free also... Just disconnect and tape it up and give it a go.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

I'm with Bondsman on this one,It's concievable that the element is touching enough to give this condition and yet not blowing this large fuse.When the wait to start lamp does not display the pcm is not powered!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 PM

yeah try unplugging it buti kinda though that once the heater shorted togeather you had a dead truck untill it was unplugged or replaced. not that tempermental stuff
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to freedomisntfree
subscribing.....
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will try the fuel bowl heater, but the occurance frequency and the fact that it comes back on whithout ever blowing the fuse is making me think more about the PCM. Is the fuel bowl heater element the thin metal ring directly under the fuel filter with the little round things hooked to it on the bottom side of the ring??

And I put a code reader on it and it had no codes. And I have never had the CEL come on. I am wondering...if the PCM is the culprit would it throw a code for itself?? I would think if it was going out there would be no code.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will definitely repost when I finally figure out the problem !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.