Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

cutting out at 2800 to 3000 rpm

8K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  DonDon 
#1 ·
I bought a 95 F 250 powerstroke in September of 2010. The guy I bought if from didn't drive it much ,got it to turn around . He had trans rebuilt a couple years ago but he had only put about 300 miles on it in three years . Since September I put a brake caliber,glow plug relay ,tires and a bunch of other small things . First problem I had was the truck hickupping and the occasional stall so I put a CPS sensor in . But I still had problem with truck stalling, then I noticed fuel on intake ,so I took the fuel filter housing off and water in fuel sensor was leaking , I plugged it and replaced fuel lines , still had fuel leak ,so I changed fuel pump today . No leaks yet ..But when I get down on it I noticed the truck starting to cut out around 2900 or so rpm . Is it the rev limiter or what?
Truck is all stock did the ccv mod today truck gets 17 to 21 mpg.

#7 ·
Brand new fuel pump installed yesterday ,new fuel filter about 200 miles on it .Engine oil has about 3000 miles on it rotela with motorcraft filter .I really don't think the man that had the truck before me took care of maintenance,when I got it the oil was about a gallon low . Rembering back to the first day I owned the truck I was driving it very hard ,then it started to ride very bad like there was a bulge in a tire ,the seats were vibrating really hard ,when I got home to check it out the fuel filter cap was loose and I changed the engine oil ,and Never had that problem again .When it cuts out its very fast choppy . Would the EOT sensor have anything to do with that ? I noticed that I don't have the high idle when cold .What is FPR screen ?

#8 ·
EOT sensor wouldnt have anything to do with it. Some trucks dont have the high idle and others do idk what it is really. Ive got 3 95 PSDs and only one idles up when its cold. the FPR screen is on the side of the fuel bowl. when looking at it from the front of the motor its on the right side. Its the silver box on the side (thats the FPR aka fuel pressure regulator) there is a black cylinder you can unscrew off of it. the screen is in there

#9 ·
I had down loaded a really nice manual for 94 thru 97 powerstrokes. Found link on one of these forums . It explains the engine and sensor operation operations in great detail , that's how I found about the EOT . I wish I'd thought to clean all that up when I had it off . I take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks again

#12 ·
Quick question the FPR screen? I took off the 2 -10mm bolts on the regulator to the fuel filter canister,and there was a small screen in between the 2 bolts it was very dirty, its on the port that goes back to filter canister.Or is there one more in the black cup looking thing?

#13 ·
There is another in the black strainer. I'm having a similar problem with my truck. Please keep us informed if you find a solution.

#15 ·
It just unscrews. It is kinda hard to get to.

#17 ·
I fooled around with the black strainer cap some this afternoon between rain showers , couldn't get a good grip on it . I might just take the whole fuel filter housing out this weekend, I know I can get that out in a few minutes.
When to local Ford dealer today to have some recall work done , and I told the mechanic the problems and what I had done . He did agree too with the strainer screen and he also said to put a can of seafoam in the crank case when I change the oil,in case of any sludge deposit .

#18 ·
Happy new year
Ok I changed my oil ,filter and added a can of seafoam too, had around 4 k miles on it .
Took filter housing off and cleaned it out had a lot of sediment in it also cleaned the strained screen . Did notice a fuel leak high behind the turbo , so I tighten up the fuel fitting on back side driver side head . Also seemed kinda strange when I started the truck back up after working on it that it didn't stall it ran good , that's with a empty fuel bowl ,usually it runs rough and dies .
Anyway after reading other forums maybe I wasn't driving enough to get all the air out of the system ,so I took it out on the interstate and put around 120 miles on it . The truck runs great but still wants to cut out around 3k rpms . Thinking back to when this started , I was going deer hunting thanksgiving day pulling my camper and 4 wheeler in bed . It is a 135 mile trip truck ran good up there no problems at all . Two days later when I got ready to come home ,I was going to start the truck to load up to come home . I started it and it ran for about 30 seconds and it died , it happened 3 more times . So I had a CPS sensor in glove box so I installed it . Truck started and ran but still had a occasional stall ,think that was all the leaky fuel lines , anyway on my way home that's when it started the cutting out . Think it could be the CPS ? Truck runs good been keeping a log on the fuel been a ave of 18 since Oct 1 when I began keeping up with it . When I check it last Sun it was at 23 mpg . Any thoughts ??

#21 ·
Did you just clean the ebp sensor or the tube too.

#22 ·
I had some electracial contact cleaner left from cleaning the fuel bowl . So I cut I short piece of tie wire to jab down the tube while the truck was running . Don't know what type of pressure should be there but it was very little . So I had a old oil pressure gauge ,like the ones you buy at auto zone that you mount under the dash , I couldn't see any pressure on it but when I took the gauge off the tubing it pushed the little oil that was left in it out ,when reeved up.When I get some brake cleaner I will do it again . They say if sensor is bad the pcm will goto a default mode like its a normal condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.