Truck has two dead batteries and nothing is turned on. Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck has two dead batteries and nothing is turned on. Why?

I have a 97 OBS F-250 4x4. It has always worked well and started well. We had a lot of snow and cold so on the 29th of November, I fired up my truck to pull it in the shop to put on my snow rims and tires. The truck started and ran great and I pulled it in the shop and out and parked it under its little shelter.

I went out yesterday to get something out of the truck and I clicked the key FOB and nothing happened. I thought that was weird. I used the key to open the door and no lights came on, really weird. The batteries were so dead they didn't even register. They are charging now.

So what the heck is going on? The only thing I have done electrically in the last month is add a CB but, I got its power from a switched fuse that only comes on when the key is turned on so I don't think that's the culprit.

Could my glow plug relay or one of the glow plugs have stuck on? If so, how would I be able to tell? Is there anything else that could have failed and drained my batteries? I am not the most electrically savvy guy in the world but, I can read a meter.

Any help or ideas you can provide would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

might just have bad batteries, how old are they. If theres one thing i know about batteries and looking around for hours trying to figure things out, it may just be junk batteries, charge them up and throw a battery tester on them
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandamo View Post
might just have bad batteries, how old are they. If theres one thing i know about batteries and looking around for hours trying to figure things out, it may just be junk batteries, charge them up and throw a battery tester on them
I agree, I would just go buy some good batteries, buy some 1000 cold cranks
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Diehard Golds, or Platinums if you can afford them Check for draw as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM

I had that happen three times in about as many months. Might have been the lift gate, but if it was, it was one heck of an intermittent draw.

Then I found out one of those re-settable fuses were popping - the one for the power seat and door locks. It'd be so hot you couldn't touch it. I didn't have the dead battery problem after I pulled it. So maybe...
Old 12-09-2010, 04:59 AM

Re-settable fuses? I guess I haven't seen those. I have the flat type with the squiggly piece of metal strip inside in my fuse box.

Maybe the CB power wire that is hooked to a swittched fuse for power is touching a non switched fuse and creating a power draw? I will check out the connections.

Which battery is the starting battery?

Do glow plug relays stick? Do glow plugs often stay on beyond their designated duration of time? The batteries are charging and I will get a chnce to look at the truck late this afternoon.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 AM

Main starting battery is on the right side, but don't just replace one, replace them both. Sears Die Hards are the only ones I have ever used, Gold or Platinum......you can't go wrong.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Re-settable fuses? I guess I haven't seen those. I have the flat type with the squiggly piece of metal strip inside in my fuse box...
Most of mine were the same. I never noticed them until that one was so hot I couldn't touch it. It's a metal encased fuse, fuse size, in the fuse box in the dash -- if you have them. These were on the '95 I just sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.