Need Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Advice

I don't know if this is in the correct forum or not, it is a problem, but deals with the transmission. My 96 seems to have a bad transmission. Had some problems with it on a trip and had to turn around and trade trucks with my father-in-law. Anyway, took it to my mechanic and he said that the tranny should be rebuilt. When I mentioned to him what I pull, like a 35' tag-along camper, a heavy-duty flatbed trailer with a 16,000lb backhoe or bull dozer on it he said that he would replace the transmission with a heavier duty rebuilt transmission or go with a manual shift ZF transmission. I have looked at the ATS Stage 3 transmission and have looked at getting a ZF manual shift transmission but can't seem to make up my mind. The automatic is going to cost more money, but I won't have to change the ECU and have the chip reprogrammed.
So I am asking you all for some ideas or guidance on which transmission will take it more and is it worth it to change transmission types.
Thanks for all the help
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I pull up to 19K and I went with the 5 speed because I control the shift points, its cheaper to rebuild then a auto, and i don't have to worry about overheating it! Brians truck shop makes a bullet proof tranny. A guy i use for all my tranny work will rebuild the tranny for 1600 with kevlar clutch pacs, and billet tq converter. If you decide to rebuild your auto look at PRIVATE tranny shops with a good rep and get it rebuilt RIGHT! If you decide to go with a 5 speed make sure you use a good clutch. Hope this helps feel free to ask more questions
Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is kind of the direction that I was leaning going with the standard. I don't know if any good transmission shops and neither did my mechanic that does my engine work. He would have done it if he had the tools.
The clutch that I am looking at is a South bend.
With mine being a 96 will I have to change the ECM and have my banks chip reprogrammed to match the standard or can I just leave things the way they are and not worry about it?
Thanks again.
Brian
Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes you need to change the PCM to a standard ECM. And i think the Banks chips work on auto and manual. They're like edge and superchips and are a one fit fits all( I hate them). You can get a PCM reman with warranty down here for i think 150. When you go to get one just tell them you need one that is for a 96-97 5 speed. If they ask you for a calibration code or PCM # repost and me or someone will be more then happy to give you ours.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

96F350KID,
When you say I can get the PCM down here, where are you talking about?
Also do you know if I will have to change the hump to accommodate the transmission?
Thanks for the help
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.