ZF5 Cracking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF5 Cracking

Is cracks a common issue? Mine is cracked where the cross member bolts up. This is what's holding me up from installing my clutch and bolting it all back together. I'm just trying to find the right person that can weld it. I dread having to lift it with the transfer case still bolted but I'd rather keep them mated.

Another fix I have to do is helicoil where a bolt stripped out and ruined the threads. The whole reason my trans is out is because I had a south bend clutch installed and at 10,000 miles it started slipping. I never took it back to the guy that did it because I had just got laid off and was broke so I kept driving it until the throw out bearing came apart and I had to park it. Now I'm fixing everything and I find out a south bend clutch was not installed. and a clutch for a gas engine was in there! I called the guy and he blamed it on the company he bought the clutch from and he couldn't do anything about it! He's never touching my truck again! I'm now a do it myself guy! The guy was a cummins owner btw so go figure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That spot was known for that on older ZF5s with the code 1307 which is the ZF5-42 from 87-95, Your truck SHOULD have a 1317 which is ZF5-47 and I havent seen any of them break. Normally that break was caused by bad Tranny mounts and on 4x4s from loading the engine up alot in the mud and woods ect. As far as the clutch I would of been pissed it looks just like a Stage 1 Napa clutch. When you find some one to weld it see if they can't make some gusses.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's odd about the tranny models. I definitely plan on having it braced. I know a guy that can probably come to my house and do it which would be great for me. He's almost family so it should be pretty low cost so that's a big plus!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
1307 ZF5-42 means Model ZF, Speeds 5 and Tq limit to 420 ft-lbs

The 1317 is just upped to 470ft-lbs bearings input shaft ect ect.

Hope you can get that fixed soon. If you were closer i would tell you to just bring it by and I could have my friend do it for 30 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.