White smoke no power when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: any ideas about white smoke
help 7.3 white smoke 2 100.00%
help 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke no power when cold

94 F250 powerstroke. Truck starts fine and idles ok when cold.Blows tons of white smoke when driveing cold and lacks power and misfires.When truck comes up to operating temp all is ok.I am not sure where to go with this any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think you need to let it warm up longer. Does the smoke have blueish tent to it? Or is it just white. If blueish could be bad injectors o-rings.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have owned it from new and have never experienced this before. Yes it is a blueish white color. i will take the infared temp to the exhaust manifold and check the burn temp later to see if one or more cylinders are causing the issue. How can i make sure it is o-rings and not an injector. How do i drain the oil from the pressure gallery so it doesn't flow into the cylinder during injector removal? I am also thinking injector or o-ring issues but want to make sure.
thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob bilodeau View Post
i have owned it from new and have never experienced this before. Yes it is a blueish white color. i will take the infared temp to the exhaust manifold and check the burn temp later to see if one or more cylinders are causing the issue. How can i make sure it is o-rings and not an injector. How do i drain the oil from the pressure gallery so it doesn't flow into the cylinder during injector removal? I am also thinking injector or o-ring issues but want to make sure.
thanks
OBS Injector R&R

There are oil galley plugs that you can drain, the main thing you want to do if you do take the injectors out is to purge the cylinders before you start it. All this is in the write up, basically just take glowplugs out and turn motor over and it will make sure you dont hydro lock the motor.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You don't need to take out the golw plugs. I just finished my injector O rings. Simply drain the galley plugs (two on each head) located up top in between the injectors. Small allen set screws. Once you pull the injector stand bye with about half a paper towel on a grabber tool and grab the few drops that are left (just to be safe). Be aware though its not only your injector o rings that caue the problem. Another VERY likely cause is worn valve guides or seals. You could go through the trouble of replacing them for no reason. But its also a hell of a lot cheaper to do o rings. I think I paid $123 for all the o rings from Ford. and a few hour of work. Up here (in AK) I would have to pay 1800 for a set of remann heads!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My truck started doing the miss when its cold but no white smoke, just on start up. You can feel it in the seat when cruising. It won't do it at idle just going down the road. My o-rings only have 5-8,000 on them.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It sounds like you have an injector problem but you may have to get a cylinder balance done or go the old schiool way and measure the temp of the exhaust coming out with a infared thermometer. I pulled the injectors and replaced the seals on my brothers this weekend . It seems to have fixed my problem.You could actually see the staining of the oil where it was bypassing the seals. I have another issue that has come up.The 30 amp maxi fuse for the glow plugs has popped now. i replaced it and we will see if it blows again.I thought it may be blowing because the injectors were drawing high amperage to fire as the oil pressure on top of the injector was not there
Thanks for the help .

Last edited by rob bilodeau; 11-22-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKE_THIS_F-250 View Post
...Does the smoke have blueish tent to it? Or is it just white. If blueish could be bad injectors o-rings.
I was told you might see some oil in the fuel of the fuel bowl when the injector o-rings go. Is this true?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the fuel filter was very black . so it is possible.just keep a close eye on your oil level if it has started eating oil that could be the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.