Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

possible vacuum pump failure, need opinions

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bighunter 
#1 ·
If I step on the brake coming to a stop sign, my brakes work fine. If I release the pedal and step again, the pedal gets harder (like the truck is off) and the brake light comes on. Once I drive away, after about 5-10 seconds, the brake light will go off and I will have brakes again (until I stop or pump the brakes).

If I park the truck (with vacuum pressure in the booster) and let it sit for 30 mins, I can step on the brakes (truck off) and they are normal (granted the pedal firms after 1-2 pumps, but that's normal for a non-running truck). I do not think I have a leak.

I took the vacuum cleaner out of the house, and put it on the booster. The booster worked normal and the brakes felt fine. This leads me to believe that its not the booster.

So, what do you think? Booster or pump? I need to tow my Jeep this weekend and need to get it fixed!!! I already have a new vacuum pump, but don't have enough money to throw around trying to get the right part. My suspicion is the pump, but I want another opinion. I will be diving into this tomorrow so I need your input!!!:)

#2 ·
I Know its two months too late but I have the same problem. so heres a bump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.