ran out of fuel - embarassing.....just plain embarassing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ran out of fuel - embarassing.....just plain embarassing

Alright guys, I didn't really want to post this, but I figured its better to ask and be laughed at, than to mess things up worse.

I decided to drive the truck to work today, so I started it to let it warm up, then ran back inside. I got sidetracked helping get my daughter ready to go (to help my wife get out of the house) and forgot the truck was running. When I finally got back outside ~20 minutes later, the truck wasn't running...out of fuel.
I had just filled the front tank a few days ago, but the switch was still on the rear tank. I switched back to the front tank and tried to start it. The engine turns, but no start. A few times it acted like it wanted to, but nothing.

What's the procedure to get her going? How bad did I mess up?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pour some diesel in the fuel bowl, you can just crank on it but it will probably take that mechanical pump a while to fill the bowl. Then its just going to take a lot of cranking to get it going again, and its gonna run like crap until all the air is worked out of the system.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM

i always spray a little bit of wd-40 into the intake to start it up, it works great.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Pour some diesel in the fuel bowl, you can just crank on it but it will probably take that mechanical pump a while to fill the bowl. Then its just going to take a lot of cranking to get it going again, and its gonna run like crap until all the air is worked out of the system.
I cranked on it for a few minutes before I decided to give up and drive the car to work. It would turn over with the starter, then briefly speed up like it was going to fire off, but then just slow back to the starter speed.

I'll take a look at it when I get home this afternoon. I just get frustrated when I do stupid stuff.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 PM

I did that to my last truck and tried everything posted with no luck. My fuel pump took a dump when it happend. Not sure if it was coincidence or related lol
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM

I guess I was fortunate.
I put about 5 gallons in the tank, hooked up the battery charger for a few hours and waited, then i cycled the fuel pump a few times, then with the charger on boost, I cranked the truck. She fired up after a few seconds. Didn't smoke too much, but ran like crap. I warmed her up and ran down to fill both tanks.

I've been MUCH more careful about checking before I walk off with it running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.