white grey blueish smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
white grey blueish smoke

the other day i went to start my truck at work to go get food and it had been a lil chilly id say around 45* in temp and my truck cranked just fine and fired just fine but i noticed that i had alot of white blueish smoke (more than normal on a cold start) and during the summer when i got on it i could see some black smoke but now when i get on it i get a greyish white smoke and every time i check the anti freeze it always looks to be in the same spot any idea of what it could be and when i reverse i can hear a rubbing sound like the tires are rubbing on something but it even does it when i have the tires straight and while going forward if i let the motor slow me down i can hear almost the same noise when i bought the truck i was told the clutch had been replaced shortly before i bought the truck im planning on pulling the motor out next spring to rebuild it with new gaskets head bolts and a few other mods like injectors ect. plus my fuel pump went out about a yr back and since i replaced it, it just doesnt seem to have the power it had before could i have gotten a bad pump that isnt giving me the pressure i need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Cynic

Normal. Glow plugs or glow plug components may be wearing out. If it's a pre 99+, it is completely normal. They didn't have the air intake heater.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 PM

wouldnt it be har to start if the glow plugs are goin bad though the truck is a 1994.5 the first models of the direct injection i had two glow plugs that were out when i did the fuel pump and all the rest tested fine at the time what would the glow plug components be im sorry im still kinda new to diesels but i know a lil more than the basics about them ill have to see if i can get a sample of the noises its makeing in forward and reverse so ya can hear it
Old 09-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Cynic

Not really, if the compression is still good the engine can fire off just fine at that temp. I've started my truck at 4* without letting the glow plugs cycle. She wasn't happy about it, but I was in a hurry.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM

ya ive done the same with mine but i think it was around -10 and i thought the motor was going to jump out of the truck i try to make sure my truck is plugged in starting around low 40s and colder at night how can i test the compression i know how to do it on a gas motor but not sure in how to do it on the diesel ya she fired just fine and she always seems to fire just fine but it just seemed like that was alot more smoke than normal that time every time i do a cold start i always look at how much and what color it is and how thick it is
Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Cynic

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Answer these questions:

Do you always have to keep the truck plugged in to get it started?
Do you have to cycle the glow plugs multiple times?
Does the truck use oil? How much?

Now, to answer your question about compression:

Pull the valve covers
REMOVE ALL OIL FROM AROUND GLOW PLUGS.
Remove all glow plugs (DO NOT LET OIL INTO THE CYLINDER. This will alter the results.)
Install Compression Tester Adapter into glow plug hole. Make sure you thread it in correctly, and by hand only.
Attach the compression gauge.

Now, either unplug the CPS and have someone crank the engine while you monitor the gauge, or just remove the top wire from the starter solenoid and use a jumper wire from that post to the positive battery terminal. This will turn the engine over, but not start the truck.

Compression should be in the 380-415psi range. Even at 360psi, the truck will run. I wouldn't want to see more than 10-15% difference between cylinders...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 PM

no i dont have to always kep it pluged in to get it started on cold days but like i said i just like to plug it in at around 40 just so it s easier in the motor the only time i have to cycle the glow plugs multiple time is if its any where from single to negative didgets and im leaveing work or im somewhere that i cant plug the truck in and sitts for more than 6hrs and as far as the truck useing oil im not sure beacuse i got a oil leak either at the rear main or the oil pan gasket got to try to pull the inspetion plate tomar to pinpoint the sourse and thank you on the comperssion stuff that will really help me out
Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Cynic

If it was doing it during the summer, I'd say the injectors are worn out or injector o-rings.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 PM

i dont know if i was doing it during the summer we had a colder summer this yr and alot of rain i think the warmest it got was maybe mid 70s sorry not much help there but i honestly dont think so i was also useing the diesel kleen stuff to clean the injectors this summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.