Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

95 E40D trans doesn't fit my 95 E40D truck

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  897.3alltheway! 
#1 ·
I have a 95 F250 powerstroke (manufacture date 8/94) with a E40D tranny that lost all forward gears. It does run and drive in reverse. I purchased a used E40D tranny from a 95 powerstroke F250 (according to the seller) to swap in and replace mine. When I had my tranny out we noticed that the top of my trannys bell housing has a large number 24 cast into it, the new tranny has a large number 25 cast in it. This was slightly concerning being that supposedly these trannys came from the exact same year. We looked at all the key mounting points and connectors and the trannys appeared identical in every way, except for the cast number at the top.

During the install the tranny would not sit perfectly on the block on the passenger side. The pins lined up and slid right on, but there was a gap a fraction of a mm in between the engine block and the tranny near the starter, looks just barely big enough to slide a thin piece of paper through. This gap was not present on the driver side. Tried to rotate the engine by hand to install the torque converter nuts and could not turn the engine over. We were able to rotate it by hand using an 18" wrench on the crank pulley bolt to get the old torque converter nuts off when we removed the faulty tranny. Tried using the starter to turn it over and it was very clear that the starter was having to work hard and not turning the engine over as easily as it had before. The truck will no longer start.

I think the flywheel may be making contact with the tranny housing on the passenger side, but looking up through the inspection plate it is very difficult to tell.

What do the cast numbers on top of the E40D tranny mean? Is the number 25 E40D tranny actually from a different year? Is it really not compatible though it looks identical? :doh:

I searched extensively and could not find an answer to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
best guess? The converter is not all the way engaged in the pump.

#4 ·
That number shouldn't mean anything. Even if it came out of a 94, 96, or 97. Something was done wrong during installation

#5 ·
So tackled it again this weekend. Gas, you were right, the torque converter was not properly aligned with the pump. It had fallen out of its proper position during the install.

Now for part II.
Got the new trans fully installed, hooked up the linkages, the electrical connectors and the drive lines. Filled it with fluid till the dip stick read full on cold. Trans and Tcase both shift. However the truck cannot move under its own power. It will start and run, park will hold the truck in position and neutral will allow the truck to be pushed. But all drive gears and reverse do not work. Tried this in 2wd, 4x4 and 4low. The truck doesn't even 'kick' like the trans shifted.

Pulled the torque converter access plate and the torque converter drain plug to confirm there was fluid in the torque converter and there was. The torque converter was reused from the previous tranny since it was recently rebuilt (5 yrs ago) and worked when removed from the truck.

So, did I just get ripped off and get a bad tranny? Or am I missing something? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#6 ·
Check fluid level when warm

Damn this is an old thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.