Fuel leak coming out from underneath flywheel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 03:51 AM
COLLEGE KID

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
Fuel leak coming out from underneath flywheel

I have a fuel leak that drips on the ground from a hole in the bottom of the inspection cover that is in between the oil pan and the transfer case. (im not sure if that hole is supposed to be there or not but its not a fluid pan so it doesnt bother me) I was taking the inspection pan off to see if i could spot the origin of the leak but it looks as if the leak is closer to the driverside of the vehicle. i know this is a vague question but should i start underneath the hood or start wrenching from underneath the vehicle? and where is the fuel pump located? easier to change from underneath or under the hood?

thanks a bunch from a marine with a wrench who refuses to go to a shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 AM
COLLEGE KID

yeah sorry

i think i can figure it out by reading all the previous posts, sorry for wasting your time
Old 04-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if not there is a hole on the back of the motor on the passenger side of the valley pan up on the top of the motor. your fuel pump is right in the center of the valley pan. when/ if you have a fuel leak up on top of the motor(where all the fuel stuff is) it fills the valley pan up and it drains out the back of the valley pan down where the flywheel is and through that hole that is supposed to be in the inspection cover. id start by checkin the fuel pump and see if it isnt leakin i had it happen o my truck and had to buy a new fuel pump. i also had the o-ring go bad on the side of the fuel filter housing where the fuel regulator mates to it and it leaked there and caused the same leaking symptoms you are havin
Old 04-07-2007, 05:18 AM
COLLEGE KID

ill check

thank you! ill start there
Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 AM
COLLEGE KID

valley pan

is the valley pan in the middle top of engine or left underneath transmission fluid stick ... or is it hard to reach closer to the middle of the engine? what do i have to take off to get to it... its looks like its gonna be a PITA.

its a 97 PSD f2504x4
Old 04-07-2007, 06:10 AM
COLLEGE KID

valley pan

is it a PITA to check the valley pan? i took a look and i cant pinpoint it.. im going to get a flashlight but is the pump and valley pan to the right of where i check my oil or directly way in the back of the engine? if its in the back part of engine it sounds like its gonnna be hard as hell to reach. whats the best way to access it? i probly just have to start taking **** apart dont i? its a 97 f250 7.3 4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
if not there is a hole on the back of the motor on the passenger side of the valley pan up on the top of the motor. your fuel pump is right in the center of the valley pan. when/ if you have a fuel leak up on top of the motor(where all the fuel stuff is) it fills the valley pan up and it drains out the back of the valley pan down where the flywheel is and through that hole that is supposed to be in the inspection cover. id start by checkin the fuel pump and see if it isnt leakin i had it happen o my truck and had to buy a new fuel pump. i also had the o-ring go bad on the side of the fuel filter housing where the fuel regulator mates to it and it leaked there and caused the same leaking symptoms you are havin
Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

The fuel pump is directly in the center of the heads, behind the fuel filter housing. It has two hard lines coming from it, going to the heads. Remove the engine cover and start looking for wet spots.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if its the fuel pump then your gonna have to take the turbo y-pipe off along with the fuel filter housing it makes things alot easier to get to if you take the 2 13mm bolts off the bottom of the fuel filter housing that screww into the block in the valley pan. the 2 metal line disconnect from the fuel pump then it slips right out. there are 3 rubber hoses that go from the pump to the fuel filter housing that have to be disconnected as well
Old 04-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hey also check the sensor that screws into the drivers side of the fuel filter housing. Mine started leaking and it came out at the same place. If that is the problem it is a $60 part from ford. But I also had the fuel pump go out about a month later and you can get to it a little easier by taking the fuel filter housing out.

Brad
Old 07-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel pump problem

yes its most likely your fuel pump. i had that happen to me its not hard to do! you have to take off everything above it but its not hard. becareful that you dont snap off the plunger that runs on your camshaft cause you wont be able to get it out of the valley pan otherwise. it took me about an hour to replace while your doing that make sure you replace the 2 rubber hoses on the front also so you dont have to remove it again later cause those hoses might be dry rotted. its not a difficult job tho! I did it on my 97 PSD. works fine. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.