96 fuel pump leak, no manual yet. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 fuel pump leak, no manual yet.

Hello all;

I have found that my fuel pump is leaking. I have not found a repair manual yet and I was hoping for some DO's and DONT's for the replacement.

I read a nice thread on a 95 fuel pump leak and I would like a few more answers.

What should the bolts be torqued to?

I read a caution on dropping the cam follower that operates the fuel pump. What precautions can I take to prevent or mitigate this?

Any fuel pump recomendations?

Could this leak contribute to a rough running motor? Or should I look into replacing electronic's under the valve cover and through the valve cover gasket?

thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Picture of fuel pump wee hole.

I completed the replacement. Not an easy task (as far as fuel pumps go), but doable if you have the right tools.

Here is a picture of the wee holes on the new fuel pump. this might help the next guy look in the right place. I attached the image as an attachment. I could not figure out how to insert the image here.
Attached Thumbnails
96 fuel pump leak, no manual yet.-dcp01701.jpg  
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Thank's Patrick! How is your truck running now?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Jon

Fuel pump

Yeah, it can be intimidating. Its not to bad once youve done 20 or so. The best thing to do is remove the fuel bowl but I have seen guys leave it in. Other then that the only pain it the big banjo bolt under the turbo. I rigged up a setup to get it with my air ratchet. Much easier. I have heard stories about the cam follower to but "knock on wood" I havent had it happen yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is not leaking fuel anymore, but it still runs like doo-doo.

At idle, it will surge a little, then it will run like it has a dead hole or two (check engine light on) and then the check engine light goes out and it will run 5x better (but still not smoothly).

The guys at the local ford dealer said to bring it by and they would run a series of tests on it (for a fee). I am thinking that I should do this and find out for sure what is going on instead of part swapping.

I have fixed the leaky fuel pump, leaking vaccum switch and changed all the filters and fluids.

I left the fuel filter housing in, but I removed the mounting bolts. This gave me just enough room to re-install the pump with the new blue fuel lines.

And the Banjo bolt was a pain. I placed a rag under it to keep the washer/seal from falling down during re-assembly.

thank you for your input.

Last edited by pallentx; 03-21-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

wouldn't happen to have the torque specs on the pump bolts would ya?

Thanks
in advance
Old 04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel pump mounting bolts (DI Turbo) = 24 ft/lbs
Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 PM

I recently did the fuel pump replacement too. At the time I couldn't find a thread for the procedure so I just did it. I removed the fuel filter housing and that was a good time to replace the short fuel lines going to it. The bolt under the turbo was a pain, but luckily I had a box wrench to fit and all was ok. Another thread says to bump the starter to break the pump loose but that wasn't there when I did mine so I pried on it and worried until it broke loose. It's not a hard chore but nerve wracking if you have never done it.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM

clean your fpr screen and put a shim in the regulator it should smooth out your idle a little and give you a wee bit low end power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.