Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Red lining, and shifting hard.

888 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hoerle7315 
#1 ·

So I'm new to the whole owning a truck world. (I'm slowly learning the basics from my boyfriend who's a diesel mechanic)
I bought my first truck last year knowing it had a few transmissions problems, I just fell in love! I was supposed to be looking for a little beater car for me to get around with.. oops.
My truck is a 1994 f-350 crew cab long bed dually 7.3 IDI turbo diesel (E4OD).
My first question I guess would be: Which scan tool do I use? I keep getting the OBDI and OBDII mixed up, and when I google the OBDI all I get are sites for the OBDII. This site (equus.com/Content/Support/Manual/3145_FDCR_(E)_20NOV2002.pdf) says on pg.7 that the Innova 3145 Ford OBD1 Code Reader/Digital excludes the diesels. I tried the flash code (I think) where you jump the terminals with a paper clip and read the check engine flashes, but it would flash once and then nothing would flash at all. I am on a REALLY short budget so anything under $30 is perfect.

Secondly:
What could cause my transmission to redline and then shift hard? It seems to slam and then go. It does this through every gear. It also won't go above 30mph (that's with my foot to the floor)
I am looking into just getting the trans rebuilt, but the lowest quote I got was $2,400 and it has to be paid in full before I can take the truck. (I'm only barely making $500 a month so I don't have the money for that yet)

Sorry, I type a lot.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure the fluid level is good and that the tach is reading correctly.

There is the BPS sensor under the dash that reads atmospheric pressure and plays in to the trans shifting. Mine would snap your neck every shift and once I replaced that it smoothed out.

Being a 94 idi it should be similar but I could be wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.