well guys found the culprit to my poor fuel mileage in my 95 = HUGE fuel leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well guys found the culprit to my poor fuel mileage in my 95 = HUGE fuel leak

I thought it was useing way too much fuel. I noticed today when its running a steady drip comming from the passengers edge and middle of the torque converter cover. When i reved it up it blew 1/2 cup of fuel. Drove it up the yard and you could see spots about the size of 2 quarters in a trail all the way up the driveway. Now that the snow is gone its easy to see. We took the engine cover off and took the filter cap off and cleaned to make sure it wasn't comming from there. With the cover off we started it up again and looked with a flash light around the filter houseing and didn't see any fuel leaking into the valley. We checked underneath and it was still leaking. I'm afraid if i take the houseing off and its not a cracked hose or bad clamp i won't find it. Is there a common leak spot on the 1995? If it was leaking from the drain on the front side of the filter houseing it would be leaking from the front of the motor right? The newer trucks when it leaks from here its usually that because the drain is on the firewall side of the houseing right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 PM

are you sure their was no fuel in the valley?like under the turbo,sound like the pump leaking,they have wheep holes like a water pump and leak when they start to go bad
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM

when i lifted the top of the engine cover the filter cover was wet. I cleaned it up with a rag. The valley looks moist but with the amount comming out underneath i was looking for a stream of diesel. Its dripping down on the passengers side of the torque converter cover. The fuel pump is under the turbo? This is not the injection pump right?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PDXLT View Post
when i lifted the top of the engine cover the filter cover was wet. I cleaned it up with a rag. The valley looks moist but with the amount comming out underneath i was looking for a stream of diesel. Its dripping down on the passengers side of the torque converter cover. The fuel pump is under the turbo? This is not the injection pump right?
The fuel pump is in the valley between the turbo and HPOP. It is hard to get a good look at with the engine cover on.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelayerjdh View Post
The fuel pump is in the valley between the turbo and HPOP. It is hard to get a good look at with the engine cover on.
I had the engine cover off. Its the one right behind the y pipe feeding the intake correct? The injection pump has the timing set attached correct? Does the fuel pump feed the injection pump? or is it to make pressure going intot he heads?

Gonna dig it out from under the 12 inches of snow from last night and put it in the garage today and inspect.

Thanks all
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
The fuel pump provides the fuel to the fuel rail for the injectors. the injector pump (High Pressure Oil Pump) provides high pressure oil to the injectors. The injectors take the high pressure oil and hydralicly increase the fuel pressure to the cyclinders for ample pressure to support combustion.

Jim
Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 AM

just so i understand this fuel pump is the only one on the powerstroke? there is the hpop and this fuel pump and thats it? there is nothing at the top under the front cover? I know the injection pumps on the old idi 7.3 were quite pricey. Whats does one of these PSD fuel pumps sell for?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:15 AM

hey 95pdxlt
My 97 was doing the same thing and it drove me nuts trying to find it. as it turned out it was the accumulator leaking out the bottom seam. ( the flat round thing that sits in the valley almost under the pedistal ) hope this helps
Old 03-17-2007, 10:33 AM

ok let see if i can get this cleared up.
jojo you have a cal truck the rest of the 48 state truck don't have the same fuel pump with a accumulator,you have split shoots injectors and the rest have single shots injectors.
with that said the fuel pump is in the same place.the PSD does not have a injector pump.it is a total differnt than the IDI.
their is a hole in the back of the valley on the passager side.that is why it's running down their.
the hpop is under the fuel bowl at the bottom of the valley.it is bolted to the back of the front cover.it just pumps oil to fire the injectors.

the fuel pump can be replaced with out taking the turbo off on the none Cal. trucks.i have done it on 2 trucks.just be carefull not to drop the rod (that rides the cam) in the motor.it isn't that hard of a job take sometime do to the space you have to work in.

i hope that make sence my typing isn't that great
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Well it was worth the shot
ca. is in a world by themselves when it comes to emmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.