Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Only starting when solenoid is arced

870 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  john galt 
#1 ·
I just did an engine swap on my 96 f350 2wd automatic. When I half turn the key I get the usual wait to start light which shuts off after a reasonable amount of time. I think I should be hearing injectors clicking and a whine? But there's usually only a click on the engine bay. When I turn the key the rest of the way nothing happens, but I get an engine temp and fuel filter light coming on. I'll arc the solenoid to the starter, and it'll start up fine and I won't get any lights or codes or running issues. I would just say the ignition or the solenoid, but the fact that I don't hear anything else on half turn is saying it's something else to me. The solenoid on top of the motor had a smoking wire at the contact, so I replaced it with the one off the other motor with no change. Any ideas? Thanks

#2 ·
The solenoid you replaced is for the glowplugs. Check the connection of the little low current wire to the starter solenoid. That one is what pulls the high current contactor in for the big terminals. It could also be a chaffed wire under the steering column from the ignition tumbler.

#8 ·
that's funny right there :rofl: :hehe: :rofl:

Patriot I'm thinking of adding a hidden push button start as well. I got this pickup back in February because the 6.0 I had for less than a month got stolen and totaled in a police chase.
that isn't funny man, sorry to hear that...did they give you some "alone" time with the a hole who stole it? >:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.