Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 Powerstroke white smoke/ rough idle

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  White95f250 
#1 ·
My 97 powerstroke has white smoke at idle and on hard acceleration it turns into a heavier white smoke maybe tinged gray around 40 mph it stutters and then smooths out after that. It was smoking like this when I got the truck so I replaced injector cups, injectors, and rebuilt the turbo. Replaced both valve cover gaskets and the pig tails on passenger side. The white smoke still persists so I sent the injectors back off to verify they are operating properly. I don't have much if any blow by, no oil/fuel in coolant, no bubbling coolant in the reservoir. The only codes I pull are failed cylinder contribution on 5 and 7 when I flip my gasket around it jumps to the codes for cylinder 1 and 4. I replaced that gasket and still get 5 and 7. I tried swapping for a different idm and had no change. I am not sure what else it could be causing the smoke. I read that the intake air temperature sensor can cause the PCM to do funny stuff with the fuel delivery if its bad so my next step after injectors are back in is to replace that. Any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.