Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No crank situation.

784 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ol' grouch 
#1 ·
I got my truck back from the alleged mechanic. I've reassembled the a/c system and replaced the belt. Put a little refrigerant in it and it was time to start the truck and let the compressor pull the refrigerant in the system. Turn the key, everything lights up properly and turn it to start. Nothing. I hear a "thunk" but the engine doesn't crank over. I found two 30 amp fuses laying on top of the air cleaner that weren't there when I took it in. I can't find any empty fuse slots. I've tried a remote starter switch but nothing happened. I'll check the starter and see if its good. Beyond that, does anybody have any ideas?

Once the truck is up and running again, I'll sic the lawyer on him. He told me he wanted to buy the truck and kept telling me stories for three weeks. When I showed up with a tow truck, you'd think I ran over his dog and then peed on it.

#4 · (Edited)
Where is the thunk coming from? Up on the fender (relay), or down by the starter? If it's really a THUNK and not just a "click", then most likely it's down by the starter. If so, then possibilities:
* Locked up engine - first thing to try is turn the engine by hand with a wrench
* Could be the main wire from the battery to the starter is faulty. Bad connection at batteries, or as happened to me once, terminal right at the starter broke off.
* Faulty starter - the whack test ^^^^^ will tell you that.

#5 ·
Where is the thunk coming from? Up on the fender (relay), or down by the starter? If it's down by the starter, then:
* Locked up engine - first thing to try is turn the engine by hand with a wrench
* Could be the main wire from the battery to the starter is faulty. Bad connection at batteries, or as happened to me once, terminal right at the starter broke off.
* Faulty starter - the whack test ^^^^^ will tell you that.

Unfortunately, I'm rather deaf. I can hear, just not very well. My misspent youth is catching up to me. It sort of sounds like the fender well or firewall. I hooked a battery charger up to one battery last night and it kept charging for over an hour. Before I beat anything with a hammer, I plan to clean all the battery terminals and then just some dielectric grease, reassemble and make sure everything is charged.

The doofus was using it to jump start his piece of junk car and I'm thinking discharging batteries outgas and cause corrosion. Clean that all up and reassemble and go from there.

I've been busy forwarding his text messages, giving me the run around, to a secure file for my lawyer and the judge. I pay $18 per month for prepaid legal so I might as well use it.

#7 ·
I hooked up a remote starter switch so I could try to start it from outside. The fender mounted solenoid seems to be good. I suspect I have a bad starter. The starter motor itself looks good but the relay on the bendix is rusted bad. It has probably gone bad and isn't letting the starter do its thing.

#9 ·
I pulled my starter off and it was locked solid. A previous owner had replaced the starter with a new unit with a production date of 03-31-14. A slightly over two year old starter failed. The main body looked good but the bendix assembly was shot.

the truck is purring like a kitten now. I also repaired the a/c and it's blowing 45 degree output air. The a/c took me three hours and the supposed mechanic had it 7 weeks. I'll find out how good my prepaid legal is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.