Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bad Fuel Pump or am I missing something?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Syndicated_cdn 
#1 ·
Okay I have a 1995 F350 XLT 7.3. Just recently I went out to my truck to start it, it would not start, I pulled the filter and noticed there was hardly any fuel in bowl I checked water bleed off valve it was closed. So I filled the bowl with diesel and cranked on it for a while, then filled bowl again, and again. I drained bowl and left valve open to see if the bowl was filling, no it wasn't. So I filled the bowl and cranked on it, She started up I drove around all day with no issues. I came home and pulled in the drive, I jumped out and let her idle for a bit. After about 10 minutes of idling she started a chug and a burp and then stalled out. I went to start again and yet still the same issue. I pulled the tanks and checked lines for trash and to replace sending units to only find that my truck does not have a electrical fuel pump nor electrical sending units. Is it my mechanical transfer pump that is next to my bowl? and no there is not a fuel pump on the frame only a tank transfer switch.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say you are on the right track. The mechanical pumps are known to go out. They also don't handle mods very well that's the reason most guys switch to efuel.

#3 ·
Good and Bad News

After installing manual pump all is well, this morning it wouldn't crank up right away, but the second try it did.. But I do have a few questions, I went ahead and changed oil and filter, my oil pressure gauge is stuck on high. I went ahead and removed the old one and replaced it as well.. it still reads High... I will continue to research but any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
After installing manual pump all is well, this morning it wouldn't crank up right away, but the second try it did.. But I do have a few questions, I went ahead and changed oil and filter, my oil pressure gauge is stuck on high. I went ahead and removed the old one and replaced it as well.. it still reads High... I will continue to research but any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Check the oil pressure sensor harness for a short. Trace it back from the sensor itself.

Rusty

#6 ·
50 psi while running is normal. 10 is way too low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.