Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What would be using ~170 amps at idle? 97 7.3 PSD

944 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  eporter123 
#1 ·
So I've got a 1997 E350 w/ the 7.3 PSD. It's a cutaway ambulance conversion.

I hadn't started it in a month, fired it up, and the battery light is on. There is a control panel for the ambulance functions that has a digital display. The display shows battery voltage, and amp charge/draw.

SO, first thing you do in an emergency vehicle is turn the manual battery-disconnect switch to the on position. At this point the battery voltage reads fine, and amp usage is nominal (.1).

I turn the key to get the glowplugs going, and the amp usage goes way up. Once the truck is started, the amps usually go down, and eventually start charging at a positive rate, as needed.

Now the battery light is on, and the amp draw is around -170. Does that amp amount sound like a specific problem?

I plan on going through the battery cables, ground connections, etc. between the battery, starter, and alternator. Possibly the glow plug relay, too?

I'm learning more about this everyday.

I've searched and found some good alternator/glow plug relay troubleshooting, but I'm hoping someone knows what that high amp draw might represent.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
So I usually fire it up and no battery light comes on. Now, the battery light comes on and there's a "LOW VOLTAGE" warning on the digital display.

A couple weeks ago, I let it idle for ~5min and drove it around the block. I tried again a week later, when it had been raining less, and the warnings are still there.

It could possibly be the relay is sticking open? Just wondering what that 170 amp draw could indicate.

Weather was in the 50s both times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.