Powerstroke>Cummins 5.9 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke>Cummins 5.9

Well after debating this for some time. I have decided to buy a 95-97 5.9 cummins and rebuild it to replace the problem laden powerstroke. I will have a powerstroke engine for sale soon. I use my truck for my business and I need reliability and MPG. Powerstroke does not compare to a 5.9 cummins as far as mpg and problems. I can build the cummins much cheaper than the powerstroke.

Not going to be a hot rod. But, I think I can squeeze 23-24 mpg with 3.55 gears.

Ford is definitely better truck.

I know I should be tried for treason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
i think that will work out good for you
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 AM

yeah the cummins will get you better gas mileage but a duramax gets the best mpg. but if thats what we were looking for then we would all buy hondas right. have a good one
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

you may have already seen this , but , just thought i'd share , go to DESTROKED.COM they have everything , beans diesel is dealer for these parts as well
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
yeah ive heard alot of good things about destroked
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM

i dont know who told you that the cummins is better reliable wise but they lied to you,I have worked on cummins for almost 15 years and believe me they are no better when it comes to breaking down and mpg is not much better maybe 1 or 2 better but that is it.any diesel is going to have some issues with the power they put out.just thought i would share real world exp. with that motor and whatever you do dont park it in the driveway without a piece of cardboard under it,you never have to change the oil in one because it all leaks out and you have to keep filling with fresh,IMO the stroker is a better motor.but good luck with the desision.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzstroker View Post
i dont know who told you that the cummins is better reliable wise but they lied to you,I have worked on cummins for almost 15 years and believe me they are no better when it comes to breaking down and mpg is not much better maybe 1 or 2 better but that is it.any diesel is going to have some issues with the power they put out.just thought i would share real world exp. with that motor and whatever you do dont park it in the driveway without a piece of cardboard under it,you never have to change the oil in one because it all leaks out and you have to keep filling with fresh,IMO the stroker is a better motor.but good luck with the desision.
I'm not sure what real world experience you've had, or which Cummmins it was on, but thats the funniest thing i've heard.

There is a reason that the winners in sled pulls are usually the Cummins. Very reliable, hard to kill, and if its an old 12 valve with a 5 speed, then YES it does get the best mileage. I've met people who get mid to high 20's with the 12 valve, I myself got 24 out of this last tank, and that is with my horrid inability to keep my foot out of it.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzstroker View Post
i will agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112207 View Post
I'm not sure what real world experience you've had, or which Cummmins it was on, but thats the funniest thing i've heard.

There is a reason that the winners in sled pulls are usually the Cummins. Very reliable, hard to kill, and if its an old 12 valve with a 5 speed, then YES it does get the best mileage. I've met people who get mid to high 20's with the 12 valve, I myself got 24 out of this last tank, and that is with my horrid inability to keep my foot out of it.
im not arguing with anybody , but yes they do good at the sled pulls , but i also see just as many breakdowns as ant other truck on the road
Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112207 View Post

yea bud you can laugh all you want at that,i dont care who pulls the sled the best,we are talking about other ****.I have been a diesel mechanic for 15 years and my dad has been one his whole life too,how long have you been one?and lying about your mpg isnt going to make your truck look cooler around here,my superduty gets 19 to 20 real mpg and has 200,000 with no problems and no the cummins dosnt get the best mpg the duramax does.so before you run around knowing everything do a little research first before you make yourself look even more retarded.remember you are talking to somebody that has been around these things his whole life.thanks hope you have a nice day!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsmith36 View Post
Well after debating this for some time. I have decided to buy a 95-97 5.9 cummins and rebuild it to replace the problem laden powerstroke. I will have a powerstroke engine for sale soon. I use my truck for my business and I need reliability and MPG. Powerstroke does not compare to a 5.9 cummins as far as mpg and problems. I can build the cummins much cheaper than the powerstroke.

Not going to be a hot rod. But, I think I can squeeze 23-24 mpg with 3.55 gears.

Ford is definitely better truck.

I know I should be tried for treason.
im not saying that the cummins will not do the job that you intend they are a great diesel motor,just saying it has its problems just like every other motor.BELIEVE ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.