Injector Install - Unique/Different Method - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Injector Install - Unique/Different Method

I'm almost ready to install my stage 1 Injectors and I remember reading somewhere that if you swap your injectors fast enough (say pull out your old one, and stick in the replacement injector imeadiately,.... one at a time) you could do so with out draining the rails & HPOP resivoir. And no chance of Hydro-Locking using this method.

Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Seems like I read this in Diesel Power Magazine a few months ago (while standing in line at the local Wal-Mart) where they had sort of a build-off challenge between two OBS trucks. One was a gasser w/ 351 that they put heads, intake & etc on,......while the other one was a Powerstroke that they did the typical air intake, exhaust, chip and of course (Beans stg 1's) injectors and sent both of them to the dyno.

I'm just a little leary of some of the things I read in the mags at times.

Of course my injectors are still in the truck and my Stage 1's should be here tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 03:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's unique alright. Just do it the right way.
http://swampsdiesel.com/content/faq/...or-removal.pdf
Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 AM
Ole White

I agree don't think you'll be able to do them fast enough to not at least have to pull the glow plugs and turn it over a few times
Old 03-24-2009, 04:20 AM

It is not hard or real time consuming to pull the fuel plug on the back of the head and the 2 oil rail plugs under the valve covers. If you pull the plugs after you remove the covers and than go pull the other cover and plugs their should be very little left to get into cylinder.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

The oil plugs are little 1/8 plugs that are under the valve covers, at the top of the cylinder head and its doesnt drain the oil gallery until one of the injector is pulled. The Article was Diesel Power Dec 08. It should work just fine, but it doesnt allow you to inspect the injector bores and clean them out.

Regardless of how you replace them, pull the glow plugs and purge the cylinders, or you will blow something. Also I would suggest if you are going to clean the injector bores with a solvent. DISCONNECT THE GPR!!!!! I turned the key on the first time and about SH!T myself when it lit off and back fired!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Shade tree mechanic

yeah, I would just purge the cyinders as advised in the writ ups. doesnt take that much longer plus you get to take your time and check everything out
Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 PM
a truck

yeah I would be weary of that method, if you really dont want to you dont have to take out the oil galley plugs or drain the reservoir, but when you purge the cylinders a whole lot more oil is gonna come out of the those holes at a high velocity and starting will be a little more difficult
Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM

I'm in total agreence with all these guys, i wouldnt do that. Though i didn't pull my plugs. I just pull'd the glow plugs and truned the motor over a couple of extra time. You might want to keep a battery charger handy. Cuz after the injectors are installed It took a good 15 min's of cranking and waiting and cranking again before she started
Old 03-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Exclamation

Well,.....

What do you know,...... I tried installing them this way and guess what happened ....???

It Worked

Started on the second try. It stumbled a little at first, but smoothed out in a few seconds.

It's ironic that I mentioned doing this and it just so happens that the guy that did my Injectors does his own swaps the same way.
how to do injectors..
Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 AM

Well, there are ways to do it that work, and there are ways to do it to be thorough and cautious. These guys offer good, sound ,cautious advice so as to limit any possible problems later.
Of course it's best to suck/pump/purge all the oil/fuel from the cylinders.

But...
If you're quick enough hardly any liquid gets into the chambers and usually isn't a big deal.

Glad it worked for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.