2" Leveling Kit on 97 F-250 Ext. Cab - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2" Leveling Kit on 97 F-250 Ext. Cab

I have a question about the setup on my front end. Because of slight downward frontend droop, I have ordered a Rough Country leveling leaf. My question is, under the stock front leaf springs (2) is a short piece of what appears to be part of a leaf spring. It is about 6-7" long and is on my friends 96 F-250 also. What purpose does this serve if any? And do people remove these when adding the leveling kit? Just for info, my truck has 102k miles and was a one owner (old guy with camper). I have only owned truck for 2 months. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just did the leveling kit in my f-250 and I left that piece in. It is tied together with the leave center pin. The only thing I can think of it being used for is to distrubute the weight on the spring better. By the way alignment sucked to get back to specs. Moog makes an adjustable camber bushing for these trucks. Only way to go I think I paid 25.00 each.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Toad! Most on the site have said little about realignment issues. Do stock chamber bushings run out of adjustment? I'm going to take a look at spring again this morning. If the spring perch is same width as additional piece, I don't see how this adds any support.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 AM

I have a '97 F250 4x4 witht the twin I beam front end and was considering doing an add-a-leaf leveling kit but was conserned about how stiff the ride will turn out.

Toad how is your ride now compared to before the add-a-leaf? Is there anything else you have done to your suspension or just the extra leaf?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 AM

If i remember right the bottom plate was 7-8 inches long were the axle was only about 5 inches wide. So i just figured it would spread the weight further along the spring. Maybe Im wrong. The ride didnt seem to change that much. The only complaint I have now is when I get a lot of weight on my trailer my rear. The squat gets my front end up that much higher. Airbags!!!!!!!!! There is no weigh To get the alignment in spec with stock bushings. I was able to get the chamber is spec before I got to the alignment shop. Shops will charge you a lot of money to replace those bushings. If you have a hard time finding those adjustable chamber bushings let me know and I'll find the part #.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM

What do you mean back to specs? I have 97 F250 with Twin traction beams and front end sits real low and the wheel bow out as you probably. I was thinking air bags over add a leaf for a better ride. What do you guys think?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Ball joints is what typically cause the front tires to lean in. Also ck your axle pivot bushings. Put in good moog joints and a the same time do the camber bushings. Just do the add a leaf not the airbags on the front end.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Toad,

I plan on putting add a leaf on this afternoon. As far as installation, exactly where are the camber bushings located on front end. I've never did any alignment work. And if you can find the part number for moog camber bushing that would be great if I'm going to need them.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 AM

Camber bushings are located at the upper ball joint. you have to remove the upper ball joint nut. Be prepared to get a work out with a hammer. you hit the housing around the ball joint and the bushing is supposed to work itself out. For me it only worked on one side. The other side I had to remove the the knuckle and the I was able to knock it out with air chisel. The part number for the bushings is K80108 Moog the bushings are a little confusing at first on how to use. It took me a little trial and error to get it right. Make sure your Ball joints are nice and tight also If there is any play now is the time to fix it. Also ck your steering linkage. Just do a alignment once
Old 03-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for Moog part number. Installed Rough Country add a leafs yesterday. Truck definitely needs some camber adjustment. Can't really tell any difference in ride or evening driving with tires slightly leaning out from top. Should I drive the truck a little before alignment to let springs settle out? Total lift appears to be a little over 2 inches. I would have settled for 1.5 inches of lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.