TW Chip and E40D Longevity (Advice Needed) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TW Chip and E40D Longevity (Advice Needed)

I am considering beginning the engine mods to my PSD with my tax refund and am still waffling back and forth with what to do. I know this truck will never be a sports car and therefore I never really intend to take it past Stage 2 injectors and other matching mods. Currently I am thinking about adding an intake (Tymar, etc), and a TW 3-4 position chip (I already have an exhaust).

My question is, how long would you all expect my 100k mile E40D to last with the upgraded chip? Raul @ Stealth described the TW chip as doing the following to the trans: the chip will boost line pressure which will firm up the shifts.. this will make sure your TC is not slipping so that your trans last longer..

I would like to have this trans last atleast another 5k-10k miles before I have to replace it with a Wood or BTS trans. How much life do you think it has left?

When I bought the truck the dealer said it was the cleaned E40D he had ever seen, but he couldn't say if its ever been replaced. I am playing it safe and assuming it hasn't been replaced.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
my dad's E40D has lasted 316k miles, with only having to put in a new TC

you really never know though, mine went out unexpectedly last thursday, with 177k on the clock
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Guessing how long it will last is a crap-shoot. If the fluid is clean though, thats a good sign. I would say a good programmer will make it last longer. Higher line pressure= Less Slippage = Longer clutch pack life. My transmission was slipping when hot and i put a cheapo Accel Diesel Programmer on it and it actually firmed up the shifts. I wouldnt worry a bit about your tuner. I have a DP Tuner comin to me this week and ive got 178XXX miles.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
my dad's E40D has lasted 316k miles, with only having to put in a new TC

you really never know though, mine went out unexpectedly last thursday, with 177k on the clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_blue_oval View Post
Guessing how long it will last is a crap-shoot. If the fluid is clean though, thats a good sign. I would say a good programmer will make it last longer. Higher line pressure= Less Slippage = Longer clutch pack life. My transmission was slipping when hot and i put a cheapo Accel Diesel Programmer on it and it actually firmed up the shifts. I wouldnt worry a bit about your tuner. I have a DP Tuner comin to me this week and ive got 178XXX miles.
Thats awesome!

Thanks fellas. It does have synthetic fluids in it and has seen 100k miles thus far. I don't really want to go the built tranny route, but I would if the stock E40D were to go. $4k is quite a chunk of change that could happily be spent on a number of 1911s to add to the collection.

All other stories of higher mileage E40Ds with a tuner are welcome!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Too cool for school

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
Thats awesome!

Thanks fellas. It does have synthetic fluids in it and has seen 100k miles thus far. I don't really want to go the built tranny route, but I would if the stock E40D were to go. $4k is quite a chunk of change that could happily be spent on a number of 1911s to add to the collection.

All other stories of higher mileage E40Ds with a tuner are welcome!
you dont have to spend $4k for it to be a solid transmission. A nice TC, valve body, and shift kit would make it pretty stout. It would put up with stage 1s at least
Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
you dont have to spend $4k for it to be a solid transmission. A nice TC, valve body, and shift kit would make it pretty stout. It would put up with stage 1s at least
I hear you. That said, I wouldn't want to under do it and then be upset about it later. Seems to me that rebuilds run atleast $2k+ and then might not be totally bullet proof.

$2k+ about right?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Too cool for school

Quote:
I hear you. That said, I wouldn't want to under do it and then be upset about it later. Seems to me that rebuilds run atleast $2k+ and then might not be totally bullet proof.

$2k+ about right?
mhm

but you gotta split it with me!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
mhm

but you gotta split it with me!
Yeah...check is in the mail.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Too cool for school

Quote:
Yeah...check is in the mail.
real smooth...but what about my address?!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM

as far as trans lasting i am on my third trans in my truck which is not modded up very much at all, the first one went almost 100k, the second one lasted 30k (stock ford replacement) never go to the ford garage for anything what a joke the third one i have about 20k on so far and is sweet i had id done at a local shop the added a billet torque converter, worked the valve box a bit and it shifts good. So anyways thats my two cents don't go with the ford reman or there new one from the factory the trans shifted way too soft for the diesel's torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.