Chip Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chip Problems

Okay so i got tunes burned to a 6 pos. chip by cale over at BTS. The tunes i got were
1:Stock
2:High Idle
3:Tow
4:Race
5:Extreme
6:Smoke

Okay so now that you know that...here is the problem. I put the chip in after waiting almost 2 weeks to get the thing back from cale. My 2nd position doesnt work at all. Then the only way i can get the 4th posistion to work is if i start the truck up in that position. Other then that it will shut the truck off. So i just figured something was wrong with the chip. I flip it to extreme and take if for a spin. Tons and tons of power and lost of smoke. I love it. I get out on the road and give it some go go pedal and the thing doesnt wanna shift out of 1st unless i let off and then it shifts. So then i flip it back to stock cause im pissed off and then pick up the girl...wanting to show off the new power. I put it in extreme. Pull out of the street. Give it some go pedal and well it shifts into 2nd but then doesnt shift out of it at all. not even when i let off the pedal...so i flip it to stock...well still doesnt shift. So now im driving around in what seems to be 2nd gear...i pull over...and pull the chip out. Now the truck shifts but it shifts really hard and slips. sometimes it will even shift into 4th then back to 3rd then to 4th again. all really quick.

So now something is wrong with my truck and im not to happy about it. Does anyone have a clue about what happened? or what went wrong. I never even got the chance to go full throttle...

I plan to call cale and give him my .02 on tuesday...just need some more info now on what it could be that happened...help me out guys!!!

Thanks
-Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In regards to the tranny issue, I have seen it alot of time where the tranny seems to be fine in stock form and as soon as you put a chip with some power to it, then it will start slipping. The tranny was prolly already getting ready to go on a hiatus anyway. Now I'm not saying this is for sure what happened, but it does.

Now as far as the positions not working right, that could be from a number of reasons, in a perfect world, the chips never have an issue when the tuner burns them and then the customer never has an issue putting the chip on the truck, in the real world, sometimes when we burn a chip something might glitch in the process and that position won't work, I can reburn the chip with the exact same programs and not have a problem at all. Sometimes its the truck, sometimes there is just a smidge of silicone that gets left on the pcm and it messes with things.

Personally, I would just call Cale and let him know what was going on and see what he says. I would be willing to bet that they know a couple of things about trannys at the shop and can prolly give you some ideas. Hope that helps!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 AM

The trans better not be going out lol. Its not even a year old. I thought it was the silicone at first. I pulled the PCM out about 3 times and just kept making sure it was clean and cleaning little parts of it. It just kept doing the same thing. I tried to put the chip back in an hour ago. It again wont shift. Im hopping something just went wrong with the burning. I guess we will find out on tuesday.

Anyone else have problems like this?

-Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Well...the chip must of really messed some things up...on my way home today...with no chip installed. The transmission went out. never had a problem with it before the chip..dont understand why a almost new trans would just go out like that...good thing its under warrenty

-Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

tune

did you clean the pcm good?did you un-plug grounds first? I'll look into it tomorrow for you can you mp me your name,thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
Kind of sounds like you got a truck pull tune. I had a truck pull tune from Cale and it wouldnt shift out of second. mine also stalled going into the smoke tune.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-Stroker View Post
Anyone else have problems like this?

-Steve
It's not uncommon for these to not work perfect the first time. I've got some shifting issues with my TW chip. I've already talked to Tony about it, I just haven't taken it out and sent it to him yet. It's gonna be hard not having that power for a while.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:49 PM

It doesnt shift even without the chip in it now. I unpluged the PCM from under the hood when i installed. I didnt disconnect the batterys. Im pretty sure i fried the PCM cause the truck wont shift and the trans doesnt get hot so i dont think anything broke down there. My PCM codes now is a TDE0 and im going to switch to a TDE1. Heard it would work better. Also would the chip of fried my PCM or not work right becasue it was not burned to the right code? I dont think i told cale my PCM code was TDE0 so im not sure what he burned it to.

-Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to S.S construction
when i first installed my chip i had alot of problems like bad shifts and the truck turning off i just had to clean the pcm very well to get it to quit
Old 02-15-2009, 03:34 PM

After all the people saying this...how clean do these things have to be? lol i mean there is no silver left on it. Its all brass colored. Any one got a pic of a really clean one? It still doesnt really explain the shift problem though. Cause it doesnt it when chip is not installed.

If the chip is programed for a different PCM code then the PCM code in truck would it ruin PCM or would it still work?

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.