Modded 17* HPOP install has begun! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM
a truck

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Modded 17* HPOP install has begun!

Well guys I decided to get started on pulling out my 15* HPOP so I could send that and my 17* HPOP in that I bought to be modded. I also got my modded IDM back and put that in today

and pulled my chip out to get reburnt

***EDIT: Got the pump out now, finally got the bolt loose, pics are on page 4

Anyways, I did not get all the way done today, I am litterally two steps away but I cannot seem to get the 18mm bolt loose that holds the HPOP gear on, if anyone has any tips I would appreciate it.

So here are the pics of the removal so far.

Just getting started

Next up I removed the fuel filter and drained the housing using the yellow lever you can see

next up I pulled the intercooler pipes of an all the boots, if you dont have an intercooler just pull off teh y pipe

When I pulled the pipe off the turbo I noticed that the o-ring was broken so Ill be getting a new one now

Next using a 5/16" ratchet I undid the two bolts mounting the glow plug relay and pushed the relay off to the side

After that I unplugged the sensor on the passenger side of the fuel bowl as seen here

Then it was time to loosen the clamp holding the fuel bowl drain hose to the fuel bowl using a 1/4" ratchet. Then you can leave it on the bowl and it will wriggle off when you pull the fuel bowl out

Next their is a heat shield covering the fuel lines, just pull that off

This will expose the three fuel lines

Using a 1/4" socket loosen the clamps holding the fuel line on, only do this on the passenger side top line and the line down below the other two

Their are two fuel lines on teh front of the FPR

Use a 9/16" wrench and remove both of them

There are two 13mm on each side of the rear of the fuel bowl, remove both of those and the fuel bowl will be loose, there is also another fuel line on the driver side of the bowl, loosen the clamps on that as well.

Once you undo the bolts start to wriggle the bowl off and the fuel lines will slide off, do not pull it out all the way though as there is still a sensor connected, once you work it out a little you will be able to see the sensor and then you can pull it off as seen in the center of this picture

Then go ahead and pull the fuel bowl out

Here it is with the fuel bowl removed

At this point it would be a good idea to replace all the fuel lines that you loosened up becuase the old ones may be brittle, I know mine were. the two lines on the back of the bowl are 5/16" and the one on the drivers side is 3/8"

and some nice new fuel line installed

and the old brittle fuel line

I had cut some of the old line to make it easier to pull the bowl off so here it is with all the old line off

Next up I chose to pull the HPOP reservoir off so it would be easier to get to the HPOP gear, first off pull the cap off the reservoir and drain teh oil out, I used my own homeade pump

Then undo teh two 13mm nuts holding on the bracket on top of the reservoir

Next pull the plug off the sensor on top of the reservoir

You will also need to pull these two plugs off the AC compressor

Before pulling off the bracket there is still a sensor connected to a line, use a 5/8" wrench to undo that and then pull off the bracket

Also undo this sensor on the back of the reservoir

Then there are 5 bolts holding on the reservoir two are 13mm and three are 10mm, undo these evenly so you dont stress a bolt and then pull them out, then pull up on the resevoir and it will come out

And the reservoir removed revealing the HPOP gear

Next undo these two oil lines to the HPOP using a 11/16" wrench

There is a plate that is RTV'd on directly in front of the bolt holding the HPOP gear in, undo that plate held in by two 8mm bolts

And this is where I stopped for today, more to come!

Last edited by Matt P; 02-26-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
gettin all your peices tied together for your big race
Old 02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice work and write up so far Matt.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

When I pulled mine, the 18mm was a "blind" removal, and a little bit of a pain. It came off OK, but when I put it back on I had to put a wrench on the crank pulley to keep it from turning while pulling on the torque wrench. Mine is an early '99, not sure how different yours is though.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM
a truck

Thanks Doug.

Unfotunately I just have a regular 3/8" ratchet down at school, no breaker bar or anything, Im guessing Im just gonna have to keep cranking at it to get it loose but if anyone has any other tips let me know, thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM

matt if u can get ur hands on a air impact that will due the trick. good luck though
Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97strokn&smokn View Post
matt if u can get ur hands on a air impact that will due the trick. good luck though
Thanks Matt, unfortunately I cant get to one at school, all my air tools are back at home so I just need to keep cranking on it then til it gets loose?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
to the 3/8 impact. If not you might not get it off. sometimes it's not a matter of holding the crank etc.. still. the pump gear might not turn but the pump shaft can turn inside of the gear. If that is the case you will need an impact. You can try to put a ratchet on there and then smack the ratchet with a hammer or something similar to give the bolt a "jolt". Maybe that will help break it loose...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
a truck

yeah unfortunately I dont have acess to an impact right now, looks like Ill just keep workin on getting it loose
Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 PM

Hope you get it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.