down pipe questions.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
down pipe questions....

Who makes a down pipe for my truck that doesn't require a porta power to bend the flange? i've heard some stories about installing downpipes and was wondering what kind of luck you guys have had....... thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
Who makes a down pipe for my truck that doesn't require a porta power to bend the flange? i've heard some stories about installing downpipes and was wondering what kind of luck you guys have had....... thanks in advance
More than likely you will have to bend the flange no matter which brand. Just not enough clearance.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever78 Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
More than likely you will have to bend the flange no matter which brand. Just not enough clearance.
There is just no way around it when going to a 3" downpipe. Ford had been using the chassis configuration for a while and when they went to put the PSD in these trucks they had to do some shoe-horning. Guess where it was.

The best downpipe depends on what your going to do with the exhaust that follows it. If you buy an exhaust system, then get one that comes with a downpipe so everything will match up easier. If your keeping the stock exhaust or CAT at least, get one with the correct end on it(ITP sells one like this) to match up easiest.

My personal favorite is the Hypermax downpipe, theirs goes from 3" to 4" as soon as posible under the cab and you can build back from that.

-Michael
Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can't believe someone doesn't make on that uses oval tubing so you don't have to use the jaws of life on your cab. (Oval tubing not crushed tubing like Ford uses)
Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If the portapower is the problem I know you can find them on sale failry cheap at Harbor Freight. The one I bought was about $69 on sale and I have found that I use it for far more than just my down pipe install.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever78 Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie V View Post
I can't believe someone doesn't make on that uses oval tubing so you don't have to use the jaws of life on your cab. (Oval tubing not crushed tubing like Ford uses)
The problem is the problem with the stock downpipe. It's been calculated that the flat pipe has the same surface area as 3" round pipe. The thing is that air flows better through round pipe than oval. That's the whole point of the aftermarket downpipes.

-Michael
Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I design and install commercial ductwork everyday. all I deal with is air flow (CFM, Velocity, Static Pressure) You could get an oval pipe to flow what that 3" round pipe flows. It's just easier to make it out of round and crush your fire wall. The stock ford pipe probably would be out flowed by a 2-1/2" piece of round tubing which would probably fit without any firewall mods. Does anyone make a downpipe kit out of 2-1/2" tubing?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM

Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie V View Post
I design and install commercial ductwork everyday. all I deal with is air flow (CFM, Velocity, Static Pressure) You could get an oval pipe to flow what that 3" round pipe flows. It's just easier to make it out of round and crush your fire wall. The stock ford pipe probably would be out flowed by a 2-1/2" piece of round tubing which would probably fit without any firewall mods. Does anyone make a downpipe kit out of 2-1/2" tubing?
Commercial duct work and PSD's downpipe (any turbo exhaust for that matter) couldn't be any more different.

Turbo exhaust leaves the turbo in a circular direction (think tornado). If it has to then pass through anything other than a circular pipe, the flow is disrupted greatly which equals back pressure which defeats the whole purpose.

That's why no one makes and/or sells an oval downpipe. That's why Ford also quit using a crushed downpipe like we got stuck with and went to as much as a 4" downpipe in the SD's - round. Not oval, not crushed, not rectangular... round.

A 2 1/2" downpipe?

To the OP. How much you have to bend the pinch weld, will depend on how the factory set your engine. If it's set forward you may not have to bend it at all. If it's set back, you may have to bend more than others. It's a crap shoot really.

Bending the pinch weld doesn't "require" a porta power. It just makes it easier. A sawzall, 2x4 and a prybar, and/or a BFH will take care of that bad boy.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlstroker View Post
Commercial duct work and PSD's downpipe (any turbo exhaust for that matter) couldn't be any more different.

Turbo exhaust leaves the turbo in a circular direction
What do you think pulls or pushes air through ductwork? The air outside?

I use inline and centrifugal fans everyday (that pull and push air in a circular direction just as a turbo does. Is a round pipe/duct more efficient then an oval? YES Is an Oval pipe more efficient then a square/crushed pipe? YES The more you flatten out a round or square pipe the larger the pipe must be to flow the same as the round.

Would I love if a 4" round pipe would drop right in off of the turbo? You know I and everyone would. But some guys don't like to have use hammers and portapowers to crush back there fire wall (no matter how minor it is). I was just curious why no one makes something that fits right in? Even if it isn't the best it would defiantly be better then the stock downpipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.