Anyone done a cummins conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone done a cummins conversion

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone had done a cummins 12v swap into an obs? I've been trying to sell my tford and switch to a dodge. I was thinking about the cummins swap, but don't really have the time hence why i wanted to jump ship as it would be easier.

Not having any luck with selling the ford though, so i'm thinking about the swap again. I see the adapter plate to run my ford auto behind the 12v is like $800 then i need a controller another $700 and my tranny is stock, so it would not hold up to a turned up 12v anyway. Can a dodge 5 speed from a
12v be shoe horned into a obs?

If i had to buy a ford diesel 5 speed it would cost me as much as a dodge 5 speed and i would still need a $800 adapter plate, so if i could get a wrecked dodge with a p pumped 12v & 5 speed i'd be in business (or would I)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM

I have a buddy here in town that did a cummins swap into his 96. He is running a cummins engine and a dodge NV4500 5 speed. So to answer your question, Yes it can be done. At what cost? That I cant answer.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxstreet15 View Post
I have a buddy here in town that did a cummins swap into his 96. He is running a cummins engine and a dodge NV4500 5 speed. So to answer your question, Yes it can be done. At what cost? That I cant answer.
Interesting

All the swap sites sell the adapters for keeping the ford tranny in there. Wonder if anyone sells a kit for the dodge tranny in a ford.

I assume your buddy kept the ford t case and just had custom drivshafts done for the nv4500?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PDXLT View Post
Interesting

All the swap sites sell the adapters for keeping the ford tranny in there. Wonder if anyone sells a kit for the dodge tranny in a ford.

I assume your buddy kept the ford t case and just had custom drivshafts done for the nv4500?
That is a good question. He is hard to get in touch with but the next time I see him I'll give his truck a good once over and let you know. I want to say he kept the transfercase but dont hold me to that.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
a truck

Plenty of people have swapped a cummins in an OBS so it can definitely be done and is a very cool swap, you can use the dodge tranny and adapter plates are also made for other transmissions as well, check out destroked.com for parts also beans diesel performance does a lot of destroked conversions so you could always give them a call
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 AM

I have a 91 Dodge 1ton with a cummins and 5 speed. I don't know when they started to put power in these engines but this one has a really short power band and the trany is a piece of crap and don't even get me started on the body. The only reason I have it. It was my dads and it has a dump bed. I would just put a newer powerstroke in there you'll be a lot happier.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNACUSTOM View Post
I have a 91 Dodge 1ton with a cummins and 5 speed. I don't know when they started to put power in these engines but this one has a really short power band and the trany is a piece of crap and don't even get me started on the body. The only reason I have it. It was my dads and it has a dump bed. I would just put a newer powerstroke in there you'll be a lot happier.
94 was the first year of the p pump in the dodge. A fuel plate and a waste gate mod to the factory turbo with a good filter and your makin 600 plus ft lbs of torque at a lower rpm range than a power stroke for under $500. The big plus no electronics. I dunno what International was thinking putting the injectors and wiring under the valve cover.

Stock for stock my 95 PSD feels way more powerful than a buddies 94 3500 3.55 gears and a 5 speed. The 12v p pumped trucks were way under fueled stock.

I been threw the whole valve cover gasket repair and GP's once. That was enough to make me want no part of a computer controlled diesel. I wouldn't want a 24V either unless it was converted to a p pump. I feel helpless if something goes wrong. Turning a screwdriver is more in my domain than hooking up a scanner. I found out with my race car if you want to make power with a computer controlled vehicule its gonna cost double the $$$ compared to a carb. Same thing seems to apply to the diesels. A set of performance injectors for a 12V is like the cost of 1 or maybe 2 PSD injectors
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNACUSTOM View Post
If ya hate that cummins so much...I'll take it off your hands!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:54 PM

dont forget about timing, afc housing and fuel plate slid foward, 370 marine injectors, a 10 or 0 plate would be good, turning the star screw. then your makin some good hp in a 12v.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM

i actually would love to do this to my 95 powerstroke... I have a 5 speed in it now but would love to put a cummins with and automatic tranny in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.