HPOP Leak? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 09:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Leak?

I went out to start my truck yesterday and noticed oil under the front side of the engine. I popped the hood and have a trail of oil running running from somewhere on the top side down and over the water pump between the base of the thermostat and temp sensor on the pump housing. I did a bit of reading and maintain's posting on HPOP leaks looks to cover it.

Anyone disagree?

Before I spring for a set of O-rings I am considerind a new HPOP to make way for injectors later on. The new injectors MUST get be better fuel mileage on the highway or no worse than the stock ones (around town who cares as long as they are more fun). I have read postings on the need for a 17* HPOP for stage I or II, others say the stock HPOP is plenty.

Would I be losing any HP with the old HPOP and stage I or II injectors? Would either set of injectors improve mileage a bit? How hard is the HPOP replace...I have read bad juju about the 95 HPOP replacement.

What have others done? recommendations?

My truck is mostly stock except for a new intake and 4" MBRP exhaust. I am slowly building it up as pieces break or need replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 10:30 AM

could be the reservoir is loose, or the oil pressure sensor on the top of the res or the reservoir fillup, if its at the front of the engine thats my best guess.
It could also be the hpop sprocket bolt cover, its held on with 2 8mm bolts on the front of the engine, I had an oil leak that was trickling down the the front over the top of the water pump and thats what it was.
17* pump would up your hpo, allowing for better atomization and give you room to get stage 1s, and if youre able to keep your 15*pump you could do a big oil system. I dont remember for sure but Im pretty sure a 17* will hang with 2s but with race tunes youll set a CEL. Im running 230cc stroked acodes on a 17* but Im running very detuned, if I was using all the fuel of those 230s the truck would fall flat on its face at WOT, right now in my race tune, even detuned, at WOT my HPO will hit 3200psi then slam back down to about 800 I plan to hybrid or bigoil when funds are available
Good luck
Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to TW451
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead96 View Post

Before I spring for a set of O-rings I am considerind a new HPOP to make way for injectors later on. The new injectors MUST get be better fuel mileage on the highway or no worse than the stock ones (around town who cares as long as they are more fun). I have read postings on the need for a 17* HPOP for stage I or II, others say the stock HPOP is plenty.

Would I be losing any HP with the old HPOP and stage I or II injectors? Would either set of injectors improve mileage a bit? How hard is the HPOP replace...I have read bad juju about the 95 HPOP replacement.

What have others done? recommendations?

My truck is mostly stock except for a new intake and 4" MBRP exhaust. I am slowly building it up as pieces break or need replacement.
I've been looking into a new 17* HPOP too. I'm still on the stock 15*, with stage 1's, D66 turbo, new intake, downpipe and 4" exhaust (no cat). I will be replacing my Edge with custom TW 6 position tunes in a few weeks.

Will a stock '99 HPOP be enough for me? I went to NAPA checking their price and they have the same HPOP part # for both my 96 and a 99 superduty. I wonder what that's all about? Their books doesn't say whether it's a 15 or a 17. Where can I get a good 17* HPOP without having to buy one of the mega HP - mega $$$ ones? Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Parrothead, any news?

Dave,
A 17* pump will be fine for stage1s. You can try to get them from a junkyard on a 2000 or newer superduty (look at the builddate on the info sticker) Or you can get one of ebay. The part number you want ends in CRM, 15* pumps end in BRM
Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Cool. Thx man. So it's 2000 and up then huh. I looked up a '99 at NAPA and it threw me off having the same part number. I'll probably have to buy new since it's hard to find a Powerstroke in a junkyard here. There's too many other diesel heads like me in the area buying them all up before I can find them!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM

yeah the early 99s have the same hpop as OBS. check that out high pressure oil pump, eBay Motors items on eBay.com
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Those are the ones I was just looking at. I better wait a while because of the after Christmas blues, LOL. I have an appointment scheduled to get a bed liner sprayed in next week, and I want to get the TW chip ordered from Raul ASAP, so I better hold up on the HPOP for a few weeks to stay on my wifes good side.
Thanks again for the info Dan. That's just what I was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.