New turbo to upgrade stock TP38 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New turbo to upgrade stock TP38

Looking for a little bit of advice on a drop in replacement turbo for my 96' F-250. I currently run a stock TP38 with the 1.10 housing and an aftermarket intercooler, no EBPV (since i have a BD exhaust brake) a 3" DP and stock injectors. I am not looking for increased HP with a new turbo, i simply need a replacement since mine is starting to burn some oil, and i don't have time to send mine out for rebuild since i will be driving across country at the end of next month towing a 44' gooseneck trailer.

I would like to hear some opinions of the performance TP38 with a 1.0 housing and non-EBPV pedestal. Has anyone run this setup and can give me some feedback if i am making the right decision by going this route? Either way the pedestal will be replaced with the non-EBPV, but should i stick with a stock turbo with 1.10 housing or get the 1.0? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Truck is a 96' F-250
ZF5 speed trans
intercooled
stock injectors
3" Downpipe
BD Exhaust brake

I usually don't see more than 900* towing the trailer loaded, and don't want to compromise my EGT's with a smaller housing. Truck is a daily driver 90% of the time with towing the gooseneck the rest of the time. No plans for bigger injectors or trying to make any high HP gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Get a stock rebuild, and the 1.0 housing should increase spool and not much else, maybe even lower egt's in certain areas, but as far as hauling with it I'm not sure, should do fine with a slightly higher boost number, good luck
Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

351 thanks for the reply. I just mostly wanted to make sure i wasn't going backwards with the 1.0 housing or putting myself into a position of requiring more supporting mods to accomodate this turbo. I know this isn't the typical looking for more horsepower turbo thread, but the stocker i have on now has made multiple cross country trips with the trailer and zero issues, it's just at the point of needing a rebuild.

If anyone else has experience to share please add your input! I am open to other drop in options too if there are any available for this setup and anyone has a better alternative. Thanks again
Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

If your not going to a bigger injector the stock turbo and 1.0 housing is good, but the d66 is drop in and better suited for bigger sticks tho
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i'm with kris, rebuild your stocker with a deleted pedistal and a 1.0 housing. riff raff used to be the best price on a 1.0 housing, and diesel orings has the rebuild kit (riff raff probably has it too)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thank you I appreciate the replies. I went ahead and ordered the new turbo with 1.0 housing as well as the deleted pedestal. It should be here next week hopefully and I can see how it does compared to the 1.10 housing. Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

You shouldn't be disappointed at all, and if you can spare it look into some custom tunes, they will make those hills and towing a breeze for ya
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Custom tunes are in the future after I re-gear and replace my HPOP.. All things considered I am more than happy with how the truck handles and tows the trailer.. 246,200 miles and another 7,000 added in the next month
Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Re-gear? What ratio you running now? If your hpop is weak yes replace, if not keep the money for later jus in case bro, I'm north if 300k no issues yet other then cps lol
Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

Right now I'm running 3.55's

I monitor HPOP psi and it doesn't need to be replaced, but would give me peace of mind to do anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.