need some information... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some information...

my buddy has a 7.3 i will be replacing the fuel lines under the turbo. but he also wants a new upgraded turbo and single shot injectors? i have no idea what he was talking about and would like to know my self. when doing this upgrade he was told he does not need his programmer to run it? what turbo and injectors do yal recommend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 AM
BANNED by Kris

He will need tunes to run the injectors efficiently. Without tunes the PCM will not know that the injectors are dumping more fuel than what it is programmed for. Also tunes will wake this truck up!

What year truck is this? Need truck info to answer your question appropriately.

As long as its a '94.5-97 and not a Cali model the truck will run single shots without a tune but...^^^. If this is a '99-03 Super Duty 7.3 it will not run singles without tunes. Drop in turbos for the old 7.3 engines are limited. BD Diesel makes a drop in and Beans Diesel makes the D66. There is a DIY D66 out there but I do not remember who sells it. Kits for bigger/better turbos can be had at places like Irate Diesel to get him into S style turbos or places like Ct Performance sell complete Holset model turbos.

From the '97 Cali truck through current Super Duties had multi-shot injectors. In general there is a quick pilot shot of fuel and then the power shot of fuel after the crankshaft turns a couple more degrees. These injectors quieted down the motors and made them more earth friendly emission wise as the engines would burn cleaner at idle (where most of these engines live if they are service trucks. From '94.5-97 Federal trucks they had single shot injectors. They are noisy dirty injectors while idling but more fuel efficient and powerful at cruising speeds.

Your buddy asking for "single-shots" doesn't mean anything to me. Our injectors go by flow and nozzle size rather then the Duramax's/Cummins's "horse power" sizes. Going by advertised "horse power" (similar to buying our injectors by Stage numbers) is silly. Our injectors are done by cc's and %. So the stock factory injector on a OBS 7.3L is 98cc/0%. This means that in 1000 firings of that injector (at full demand) it will move 98cc of fuel through a stock nozzle. Most of us jump to 150cc/160cc/180cc injectors. This is where the nozzles come in. You can cheat some extra power by going with a larger nozzle (20%/40%/60%/80%/100% over stock) to deliver the fuel faster at full demand then trying to push a larger amount of fuel through stock nozzles. The drawback is that under light demand, idling, or very easy cruising the larger nozzles run rougher then the stock nozzles. The fuel moving through bigger holes doesn't atomize very well.

Get us more info on the truck and what his plans for the truck are and we will be happy to offer opinions on available upgrades.

Last edited by BigFuel; 04-14-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

dang, i posted in wrong section. its a 2000 model. it is basically his work truck and has 400,000 miles on it. wants more power out of it. he already has exhaust intake and custom program.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Then he should have his tunes re burned and run 160/0 (stage 1) and a 38r is the easiest upgrade for him
Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok maybe im in the right spot my name is Ryan and i kinda new to the site I have a 97 reg cab long bed it has all the normal stuff gages and intake and exhaust im wanting to do a small build on it like stage 1's intercooler maybe swamps hvhf idm dont know much about those t500 hpop and chip the tranny has been modded i think its a john woodsman hpop i think if thats right please let me know what you think and ideas and i know my grammer suck lol thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome to the org, john woods specializes in transmissions, what kind of modding does your Trans have? The t500 hpop has done very well for a lot of our members, what's your goals? What do you do with your rig daily and part time, that will help to give you the ins and outs of the parts your thinking of throwing at it and keeping it safe, reliable, and fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.