Very seriously considering a VGT install on my OBS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VGT install on my OBS (need help reading comp map)

Hey all I am in need of some input from those more knowledgeable than I when it comes to turbo sizing/efficiency. I have been really working at getting this truck all fixed up. Just finished installing a Dana 60 and sd springs. Did gauges, a php hydra, dp, and 160/30 injectors. I am almost done with my e fuel setup(what can be done off the truck). Now I am collecting materials for an intercooler and turbo upgrade when I get under the hood for the rest of the efuel install. Anyways, so on to my question...
Been looking into turbos and doing allot of reading. I want to install a he351ve that has been modified to operated the ve vanes with boost pressure via a typical Watergate actuator. It is set to have the vaines closed at 9cm under 11lbs of boost and then opens then up to 25cm when boost exceeds 11psi. I have studied the hx40 compressor map fot this turbo and I think this compressor should flow plenty for my use. That is 300+ rwhp meant to run efficient and tow great with low egt, and drives nice around town and had much better low end response than what I am experiencing now.
Now I know many are just going to want to tell me about my t4 options and the d66. I know plenty about all of those choices but for me the fab work involved in getting any turbo out there mounted and plumbed is not an issue for me. I am a skilled welder/fabricator and pipe fitter. I was going to get a 38r and install it but it is almost as much fabrication to put on an obs as any other turbo that isn't in a bolt on kit.
I want to do something custom with all of my piping no matter what, I like building things myself and take great pride in what I build. Also I do 99% of my non-tow driving down low in the rpms so I want this truck to run much better down there.
Any input on this would be very much appreciated, especially input in regard to how well this charger will feed my engine at my power goals. I am not too concerned about the amount of hard work will go into getting the thing installed. Just if it will breath right. I have a call into my programmer to ask about programming but can't expect him to hold my hand with everything.
Thank you in advance,
Noah

Last edited by 95worker; 03-25-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hx40 map

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/fil...x40-b8584m.jpg
Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Might get more responses in the OBS section, this is the super duty section. PM a mod to move it for you. Sorry I don't have any helpful advice on the turbo though.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dang, don't know how I did that. Hopefully I can get a mood to move it.Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Moved it -
95worker likes this.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome to the org, this sounds like an awesome build tho I have not the intelligence you seek, have seen YouTube vids of a guy with a 6.0 turbo on an obs tho
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I Saw a 6.0 Turbo on a 7.3

Here is a similar thread in the general discussion, hope it helps, your going to have to weed through the nay Sayers obviously even after you said you don't care to hear it they will still say it
Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the encouragement guys, that 6.0 vgt is electronically controlled. I wouldn't dare, lol.
All I am really trying to figure out is if this compressor is properly sized for my power range on a 7.3 and I am still really trying to learn how to really make use of a compressor map.
Someone tell me if I am on the right track. My math, which I am sure is off, its telling me at 3300 with 20psi boost at sea level the motor should be using approx. 60lbs/min.
I will let someone verify that I am at least in the ballpark before I waste anyone's time posting more math.
If I am in the ballpark this seems like a great compressor for me, at 60lbs/min X 20psi boost the intersection on the map falls on the boarder of the 75% & 77% islands for efficiency. Which I believe would make this a nice cool tow turbo for me.

Last edited by 95worker; 03-20-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A little info update: did a bunch of reading since I didn't know much of anything about these Cummins turbos before my ricer buddy offered this thing to me. Anyways, getting the vgt working without electronic controls shouldn't be very difficult. Mechanical controls as well as aftermarket electronic controllers have been figured out by others, and apparently this turbo is popular for adapting vgt to vehicles that don't have the ecu to run it.
The big problem I found I am going to run into is fitting the thing under the hood, it is absolutely a monster.
Could still use some help with verifying that the compressor is sufficient for my needs, if anyone can help with that I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Noah
Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would consider a cowl hood or some other one the will get it to fit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.