Prices and Recommendations Please? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prices and Recommendations Please?

I need a Set of AA injectors for a '97 7.3l DIT. No money yet for a tuner chip set, but down the road... Looking at a DP F6, so I can update tunes in vehicle.

I have 250K. Sat while I was out hurt and now... I have 2 bad injectors. I could go cheap and just replace those 2, but no telling if next week there would be more.

Figured for what people want for replacement injectors and for the towing I do, and while I already have the valve covers off... I might as well replace them all with some stage 1 or stage 2 injectors. Heck for what the dealer and some parts stores around here want, I would be coming out ahead price wise!!!

What would I expect between stage 1 and stage 2 injectors for towing?

I started looking and I found Swamps Stage 1's for $1150 and Swamp's Stage 2's for $1875. Is that a good price or should I be buying from someone else? Or should I go with another brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Swamps gives a free tune for their injectors iirc, but rosewood could have you stage 2's (160/80%) for around swamps stage 1's
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stage twos are great for towing but they require a lot of supporting mods to run at their full potential

I tow with stage 1s and its great. Stage 2s are pushing it on a stock turbo.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:59 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have 160/100s what rosewood called a stage 2. they were just under 1200. i have all the supporting mods and they are great, however i installed them before i finished all the other mods and ran with them detuned for 12K miles they were great that way too, like joe says to get everything out of them and keep them happy you need the supporting mods.

i guess it depends on what your end goals are for the truck
Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
i have 160/100s what rosewood called a stage 2. they were just under 1200. i have all the supporting mods and they are great, however i installed them before i finished all the other mods and ran with them detuned for 12K miles they were great that way too, like joe says to get everything out of them and keep them happy you need the supporting mods.

i guess it depends on what your end goals are for the truck
Funny you should say that... about goals.

This is what I have now:
1997 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4, OBS PSD, 7.3l DIT, Mod'ed Custom Auto. ACIM, big downpipe, dual exhaust, K&N big-air filter kit, Wicked Wheel turbo compressor wheel, Hydroboost brake assist... But I have 2 bad injectors in 1 & 3.

Short term goals- Running good... better performance, better fuel mileage, better towing performance. I pull my equipment trailers, horse trailers and a 26' fifth-wheel.

Mid-goal- I just ordered an Auto Enginuity Ford bundle, so I can check where I'm at with HPOP pressure and other benchmarks, to see if I need to upgrade the high pressure oil pump to support injectors. Would hate to add injectors and find there is not enough fuel (high oil pressure to get fuel) going to them to support them...

Later, I want to add a DP F6 chipset. I llke the idea that I could upgrade tunes myself... with room to grow, wiithout having to pull the chipset to update it... That would lead to my longterm goals.

Long-term- Better performance, fun and variety. I like to play and make things better. I'm a long-term performance buff. I used to be "General" NIASE certified mechanic- automotive, diesel and marine. I used to race NASCAR Unlimited Superstock (circle track) and NHRA straight line... I am also (since) a computer programmer. I'd like to figure out how to do my own tunes and tweak them myself.

So you are saying you went straight to stage 2's, ran detuned and did your supporting mod's later? What "supporting mod's" did you end up doing for your Stage 2's?

Last edited by MAFoElffen; 12-23-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Supporting mods are a better high pressure oil pump, electric fuel pump conversion with a regulated return, Bigger turbo. Those are the basics. Personally I added head studs, push rods, and valve springs to my engine to run this setup but thats cause I am building it on an engine stand and thats easy to do.

Personal opinion, get the php hydra chip rather than the DP f6
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Stage 1's..best Inj for towing you won't go any faster in the mountains with a larger Inj.
Can you use larger sure I have 2's but also the support mods and a modded H2e..still can't go up hills any faster towing heavy.

NO tunes till you get a IC and support mods.

We sell FF inj's if I can help let me know.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 AM
the baconator

i tow from light to 16K from in town to across country. that is the primary function of my truck.

this is the way i did it, hope it helps you understand what i was saying.

started with the basics intake/exhaust/gauges/chip/SMF and upgrade clutch. truck was great more pep, good fuel economy, tow fine. wanted more need a fuel pump so...

installed a DIY e fuel using a superduty pump and a T500, fuel pressure was much better seemed to have more grunt down low, fuel economy was the same, now i had gotten the performance bug called jim at rosewood...

he talked me into stage 2 (160/100s they had no 80 nozzles in stock when i ordered mine) injectors and then i added a DIY IC using a 7.3 all aluminum cooler. installing a IC looses a little boost and for me a little MPGs at this point i reburned the chip telling TW that i wanted the injectors detuned. now it was awesome, but i was not happy about the smoke, and i was worried about the life of the turbo. moving the MAP line helped with the smoke...

finally got a D66, installed a WW2 got the chip reburned again. the truck sucked big time in any normal RPM range 1200-2200. the turbo took forever to light once it did though it was a rocket, however i don't drive way up in the RPM range so it was just useless and smokey for me. added a 1.0 exhaust housing and that help greatly; it moved the useful rpms from 1300-3100. after 3100 it runs out of air, but i don't drive there so it's not a big deal.

all of this is not cheap, nor is it necessary, but it IS fun and fuel economy is still pretty good. i have heard, like cary said, stage 1s, an IC, and a rebuilt stock turbo is a great towing set up. but if you know you want to go bigger buy the injectors now and detune them so you don't need to buy them twice
Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
i tow from light to 16K from in town to across country. that is the primary function of my truck.
installed a DIY e fuel using a superduty pump and a T500, fuel pressure was much better seemed to have more grunt down low, fuel economy was the same, now i had gotten the performance bug called jim at rosewood...

he talked me into stage 2 (160/100s they had no 80 nozzles in stock when i ordered mine) injectors and then i added a DIY IC using a 7.3 all aluminum cooler. installing a IC looses a little boost and for me a little MPGs at this point i reburned the chip telling TW that i wanted the injectors detuned. now it was awesome, but i was not happy about the smoke, and i was worried about the life of the turbo. moving the MAP line helped with the smoke...
all of this is not cheap, nor is it necessary, but it IS fun and fuel economy is still pretty good. i have heard, like cary said, stage 1s, an IC, and a rebuilt stock turbo is a great towing set up. but if you know you want to go bigger buy the injectors now and detune them so you don't need to buy them twice
I've thought about a DIY IC... but hadn't heard about it going backwards in perf. But it makes sense that it would lower EGT's (protection), but be more backpressure through it.

DIY IC as in you went with a used/salvaged '99 -'03 IC and came up with your own piping?

So do you regret going with stage 2 injectors for towing? Do you think they were overkill towing and mpg wise? For instance, towing is your PSD's major function (like mine is)... if you did it again (lesson's learned)...what would you do smarter this time?

What is your HPOP pressure running at now?

Last edited by MAFoElffen; 12-23-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM
the baconator

i used a 99-03 IC a set of used banks pipes, and new boots from riff raff.

i have no regrets with the 2s it tows fine (i'm on flatland) can't get EGTs to 1200, not much smoke, 22 MPG highway with summer fuel at 62-64 MPH.

if i were to do it again i would stick with 1s and a stock turbo, just because it would be cheaper and the extra performance the 2s give me isn't really necessary for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.