Dumb Luck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dumb Luck?

So, I've been saving for a tuner for my kids birthday present. 96 supercab long box 3/4 ton. Kind of danced around getting a few tuners used from members of this forum. Was committed to buying a super chips 1705 until theletter with the money order was returned while i was away at work. Allmost went for an edge evolution cts used. Then finally today, I'm back home, money burning a hole in my pocket. I went down to the local diesel shop and picked up the standard edge evolution. Despite of all the bad reviews and opinions that i read here on powerstroke.org. i brought it out to my work's shop where the surprise truck is, warmed the truck up, and plugged it i. I went through the first few basic steps of installation and wham. Error code, had to call edge. It seems that the previous owner had taken it to a dealership in the past and they flashed some seldom used program on the CPU. Edge was aware of this software update, but didn't write their programmers to cover it because it was rarely used. Their solution was sending me something that would really write my truck back to a stock program that would he evolution compatible. I really didn't want to wait, so i called a local dealership. $115 to get my pcm flashed. Called the diesel shop, $100 to swap out with a pcm that they had on hand. Obviously, i was disappointed. Been looking forward to this for some time. I took the tuner back, got my $425 (i know, way over priced), and went home. On the way home i get a voicemail from Kenny at KT Performance. Just answering a few of my questions i had emailed them. To make a long story short, we talked about the pcm issue i had with the evolution and i ordered a 6 post right on the spot. I ordered high idle, 65hp daily, 40hp heavy tow, 65hp moderate tow, 80hp daily, and 80hp performance. I understand it is a TS chip with semi generic tunes from PHP. After reading more on kt and PHP, I'm extremely excited. The birthday present will be late, but I'm guessing it will be worth the wait. It just struck me as dumb luck that i wasn't able to make a bad purchase and have Kenny call me back within hours. Nothing against edge, IM sure i would have been satisfied with the evolution but, i really think i made a good decision in the end. Any body have an opinion on KTs chips? I know there are a lot of PHP fans out there. Will these tunes be much better than the evolution? I'm kind of under the understanding that these PHP tunes are similar to the TS tunes. Am i correct in thinking this? I also understand that i can have tunes that are more custom burned on this TS chip at a later date from several different performance tuners. Is this correct? Other than that, I'm really looking forward to the chip. Hopefully the right choice was made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Very good deal there, php I've heard has great tunes and are somewhat local to me, actually going to go see them next week but yes you should be able to reburn the chip as well, and they are custom tunes, they are superior to just plain ts style tunes, but adding upgraded internals and re tuning will net even more performance gains
Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sweet! I'm pretty excited about it. All i have to compare it to is the superchip 1700 i used to run in my 97. I though that made a big difference, so I'm sure I'm in for a good suprise based on what I've read on tuners vs chips.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Never delt with a superchip, started out with custom tunes and have always been faster than my buddies trucks with same mods and canned tunes
Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I liked the superchip 1700 because i noticed a difference from stock. From what I've read, you more than just notice a difference with custom tunes. Night and day from what I've heard.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm not sure if the 80hp will be more or less than the super chips. Why didn't you opt for the 140hp tune?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The 80hp performance was the highest setting for 7.3's with light modifications. They offered 100 and 140 for trucks with more mods than mine. After market injectors and hpop. All I've done to this rig is intake downpipe and exhaust. If it was offered, i would have jumped all over it. I'm pretty new to this but i think i remember a few different custom tune companies only offering the 80hp as the Max setting for the older 7.3's. Like i said though, I'm pretty new to this.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Max on the superchips was 65hp i think. I allways ran it on the tow safe 40 hp because i never swapped out the pancake stock downpipe. All i used the truck for was pulling my goose neck with a bedding box, trench box, and felco bucket.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ive got Tony's tunes and im pretty sure his extreme tune is the same sort of thing as the 80 horse php tune, i was under the impression both maxed the full potential of what those little 90cc stock injectors can do. my buddy just ordered php tuning though so we will know soon enough for sure after him and i drag haha
Old 11-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've got stock injectors and electric fuel,ww2. I got tuning from dp-tuner and its awesome. The 140 agressive setting is an animal off the line but the top end is the same as the 100 hp setting. My pcm actuelly has been flashed by some kind of superchips offroad performance file. The dp tuning just blows it away. Heck even the 60 hp tow file from dp makes more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.