Big power question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big power question

Alright guys here is the deal. I have a '96 psd 2wd auto, gauges intake 4" exhaust, 60hp chip and 316,000 mi. I want to go at least 400-450hp with the option of going up to 500 if I get a wild hair. Of course money is an issue but it takes second place to doing this the right way and making the truck last. I am prepared to pull the motor and do whatever I have to do to get it right. Let me know what you think on everything I should do including engine work. Oh yea and I want it to be my daily driver. Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

buy a 6.4 and ur over half way there
Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea but then I would have to look at every day...
Old 08-03-2008, 04:53 PM
cj41foleyisathief

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00strker View Post
buy a 6.4 and ur over half way there
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

i would say start off with injectors, high pressure oil pump, turbo, chip, intake and turbo-back exhaust and then wait till something breaks.... I'm planning on buying a 6.0 to mod up rather than blow up my OBS
Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't wait until something breaks. It will cost that much more to replace the trashed parts like the block and cam, oil pan, oil pickup etc from a flailing rod.

If you plan to make 400-450 I'd get a set of hybrids, head studs, and something like an H2E turbo or one of the turbos that WOP has available that fits on the Hypermax H2E install kit. You might need a 17 hpop as well depending on how yours is.

If you want the option to go more than that I'd pull the engine and do a rebuild. I'd have the decks trued, new pistons, bore job, have the crank checked and turned if need be, Crower rods, ARP main studs, new valves, new valve guides, new valve springs set up to properly take the amount of boost you think you'll be running, head studs, and fire ring head gaskets. That should pretty much get the engine where it needs to be. to not have to wory about anything letting go in the bottom end. Then I'd go with a set of BD code injectors and an oil system. For the turbo I'd contact either David Lott at Diesel Innovations about his GT42 kit or WOP and tell them what you are looking to do and they can set you up with a turbo kit.

You are going to need a built transmission what ever you do. I'd give Brian at BTS a call for that.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here's my list of mods and I'm at 450+ at the wheels on fuel only.

Hybrids Injectors, 910 Valve springs, Chromoly pushrods, H11 Head studs, Forged Rods, Garrett 38R turbo, DIY fuel system, 17* hpop, and a BTS transmission. Of course I have Intake/exhaust/gauges and a few other one offs, but that's about it. I recently ran a 13.0 @ 102 with a small shot of spray with a bad exhaust leak.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys for all the input. its going to be about a year and a half project so thats why i want to do it right. and im def. going to pull the motor and go through it at least so i can have peace at mind when i stand on it every time. thanks gts and maintain you def got the wheels turning in my head!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.