injector questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injector questions

I plan on doing injectors in the future and have a few questions about them. my truck has 180k on it and i am worried if i do the DIY injectors that they may be worn out of limits. I poked around at some sites and its looking very expensive to replace them all. I am also debating if i should do stage one, or twos. For daily driving is there a big fuel economey diff between the two, and what im looking at is on the high way, driving like a grandma when i go home. There is a chance that my HPOP is bad so if it is i WILL be changing over to the 17* pump so that should be able to run the stage 2s. The truck will be a somewhat daily driver, pull a car trailer and thats really about it. The truck doesnt go off road any, isnt a sled puller, but once i do a few things i would like to take it to the track every once in a while. any info would be greatly apprciated. thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The main thing with a DIY Kit is they really need to be in good shape to start with or you're in for a lot of work and probably $$$. The Kit's main purpose is to increase flow from a good operating injector. There's no way to tell how worn your injector parts are without disassembly and inspection.
Fuel economy will depend on your computer programming, but generally Stage-2's, having larger nozzles, tend to get less economy whereas the Stage-1's have stock nozzles, so it's easy to turn the chip down and get good mpg.
Stage-1's can add about 125 hp to your truck now, with a big intake, open 4" exhaust, and a good chip. The Stage-2's can add about 175 hp, practically doubling your horsepower now. The Stage-1's really wake up the older trucks, and is what I have on my '97 daily driver. It's peppy enough that I never even drive with the highest chip setting.
Keep in mind with any upgraded injector your trans/clutch will not be happy if you're on the power all the time, more so with Stage-2's.
A 17* pump is never a bad idea.
Let me know if I can do anything for you.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to diesel hubbz
sorry thought i'd piggy back this thread....

so a 15* stock obs hpop will run stage 1 injectors? how about the turbo, will it hold up to the stage ones? would a 17* pump be better for stage 1 injectors? do i need an intercooler for the stage 1s? do i need a 17* pump for stage 1s and an intercooler?

right now i have an intake, 3" dp, 4" open pipe, edge ez programmer or chip(whatever it is), gauges and fpr shim on a 95 obs. what should be my next plan for power. injectors? hpop? turbo? intercooler? i'd really like to get another 100 horse or so over what i have. i already assume that once i get injectors i'll need to get a TW chip.

so if i do injectors and a tw chip how long do you think my auto tranny (has 22k on a rebuild) should last? is there a good/decently priced torque converter/shift kit i could get to prolong my trans? whats a good site to check that stuff out?

sorry i have soo many questions i just want to know as much as i can before i go buying parts i dont need. thanks for the help fellas!

Last edited by diesel hubbz; 08-02-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: not all that bright
Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Shocker the best way to tell if you injectors are shot or not is pull the solenoids and check the armature clearances. Should be .002-.004, .004 being the preferred and if they are getting close to or are a tight .002 they are pretty much worn out and need to be replaced. You can check this by removing the valve covers. No need to even pull the injectors. That's not to say you won't have any worn plunger and barrels or anything else but pretty much everything else is replacable.

Stage I and Stage II injectors both flow the same amount of fuel being 160cc. The only difference being the nozzles on Stage Is are stock and stage IIs are larger. Either case if you drive it nice your mileage will be as good or better than stock. With Stage I injectors and no chip your truck will run like stock which is great for emission testing. With a good ballanced set of slightly larger nozzles I've heard of guys getting better mileage than stock as long as the truck is driven nicely. Either will work great for a daily driver.

Hubbz a good 15 pump will run stage I or IIs. But it all depends on it's condition. A 17 pump wouldn't be a bad idea if you can pick one up for cheap. Get the injectors and if you get a CEL for low ICP then get the 17. If it doesn't set the CEL then don't worry about it. You'll be pushing the stock turbo to it's limits with Is or IIs. As long as you keep an eye on your boost and keep it under 28-30 psi it'll be fine. If you run it up over 30 regularly you'll be replacing it soon.

If you do a lot of towing an intercooler would be a very good idea. Otherwise you might find yourself backing out of the throttle to keep EGTs in check.

Your next step would depend on how patient you are I guess. If you want to have everything set up to run the injectors I'd work on getting an intercooler first. Then a turbo like an H2E from Hypermax. Then the injectors. You won't see much for power gains with the intercooler or tubo but that way you have that stuff in place when you add more fuel with the injectors. Or you could go with the injectors and get the instant gratification. Watch your EGTs and add the other stuff later.

With either Stage Is or IIs your tranny/clutch won't be happy. How long it will last will depend on how good the rebuild was and what all they did to upgrade it. Honestly I wouldn't bother spending money on a good TC and valve body. Once the tranny lets go it will send debris through them and they will be junk and you will just be out the money for those parts. I'd save your money and use it for the new built tranny when the one you have lets go.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 PM

I built my stage 2's with the DIY kit that Jim sells, and my truck absolutely screams, everyone that gets in my truck can't believe how fast it is. The difference these injectors made exceeded my expectations by far and they are the best upgrade I've done to my truck. I have a 15* HPOP and I can't set the check engine light for lack of HPO no matter how hard I try, I guess I have a good strong 15* pump. When I upgrade to 230cc Hybrids I'll probably make the jump to a 17* pump if I start setting off CES lights.

If your injectors are in good operating condition, then I wouldn't hesitate to build a set of DIY's. I went for the stage 2's and now I wish I went for the stage 3 hybrids, once you get a taste of power you just want more. Call Jim at Rosewood Diesel, he'll take good care of ya.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM

If you can't set a CEL with your Stage IIs then you won't set it with the hybrids because they take the same amount of oil to run them.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
u guys think a OBS chipped with stage 1's would have more power than a chipped 99-up?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:46 PM

It should being you'll have 20cc more fuel at your disposal. However that would depend on if your fuel and HPO pump is keeping up.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 PM

if i was to get a set of stage2's would i have to have my tw chip sent back and reprogramed. and how exactly does the hpop work with the injectors
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM

You wouldn't absolutly have to send the chip back but there can be some tweeking done to better optimize the performance of the new injectors.

The injectors are called HEUI injectors which stands for Hydrauilic Electronic Unit Injector. The HPOP is the hydraulic portion of the injectors. It supplies the hydrauild pressure to run the injectors. The solenoid on top opens and closes a valve and the high pressure oil starts flowing pushing the fuel out. The more fuel you make the injectors flow the more oil it takes to push all the fuel out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.