Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EBPS tube

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jcart 
#1 ·
After replacing my turbo pedestal with a non-ebpv one, removing the butterfly valve and using an eliminator on the plug, I'm wondering what function the EBP sensor has and if I can delete it as well. I ask because I was going to do the tube and sensor cleaning but then realized that they may not serve any purpose and if thats the case, then I will just delete them and plug the hole in the manifold.
Thoughts?
Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
Did similar to you gutted the EBPV, trimmed off and plugged the oil ports on the EBP plunger etc., un hooked wire harness to EBPV solenoid.

I capped the tube where the EBP sensor fits, (passenger side front of block, back side of HPOP Reservoir). Then plumbed the EBP sensor into the MAP line that I swapped to the hot side of my IC (just after the turbo). Not really sure what it does but the relocated MAP line was right there and I had a brass barbed T and block that fit the sensor. Think I gained like 25 HP.....:rolleyes:

jrc

#5 ·
Well, I ended up taking the sensor and tube out and cleaning them really well. The tube was PACKED full of soot, and it took almost an hour with weed trimmer line, a drill and PB Blaster to get it all broke loose. Took the rig out for a spin and didnt notice any seat of the pants difference, yet AE showed EBP readings over 3 for the first time, haha!

#6 ·
Did a little research and found this from the 1996 manual I had squirrelled away (digitally) and found.

Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) Sensor

Diesel Engine

The exhaust back pressure (EBP) sensor is a variable capacitance sensor that, when supplied with a 5 volt reference signal from the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650), produces a linear analog voltage signal that indicates exhaust back pressure.

The powertrain control module uses this signal to control the exhaust back pressure device when needed.

Thats it, thats all I guess, least according to the '96 manual. I thought it would be peddle position that would determine on/off (as well as EOT) of the EBPV, referred to as the back pressure device above.

I know on my white/silver stock truck it comes on (EBPV) now that it's cooler out, laughed out loud the other day as I had totally forgotten about this "feature". It wouldn't come just after startup or idle but when I had depressed the peddle a bunch like at 40 kms (30mph) almost seems to stay on at too high an RPM. Anyways when I get time will be "modifying this feature" right off the engine....EBPV, actuation cylinder, piston assembly too and related keerap.

jrc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.