EBPS tube - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBPS tube

After replacing my turbo pedestal with a non-ebpv one, removing the butterfly valve and using an eliminator on the plug, I'm wondering what function the EBP sensor has and if I can delete it as well. I ask because I was going to do the tube and sensor cleaning but then realized that they may not serve any purpose and if thats the case, then I will just delete them and plug the hole in the manifold.
Thoughts?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did similar to you gutted the EBPV, trimmed off and plugged the oil ports on the EBP plunger etc., un hooked wire harness to EBPV solenoid.

I capped the tube where the EBP sensor fits, (passenger side front of block, back side of HPOP Reservoir). Then plumbed the EBP sensor into the MAP line that I swapped to the hot side of my IC (just after the turbo). Not really sure what it does but the relocated MAP line was right there and I had a brass barbed T and block that fit the sensor. Think I gained like 25 HP.....

jrc

Last edited by jcart; 11-02-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've heard that it helps in calculating engine load for fuel delivery. That's why it can affect fuel mileage.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Last I check mine it was looking pretty sad. Maybe I will get a new one and see if my fuel milage increases. Cant hurt
Old 11-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I ended up taking the sensor and tube out and cleaning them really well. The tube was PACKED full of soot, and it took almost an hour with weed trimmer line, a drill and PB Blaster to get it all broke loose. Took the rig out for a spin and didnt notice any seat of the pants difference, yet AE showed EBP readings over 3 for the first time, haha!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did a little research and found this from the 1996 manual I had squirrelled away (digitally) and found.

Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) Sensor

Diesel Engine

The exhaust back pressure (EBP) sensor is a variable capacitance sensor that, when supplied with a 5 volt reference signal from the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650), produces a linear analog voltage signal that indicates exhaust back pressure.

The powertrain control module uses this signal to control the exhaust back pressure device when needed.

Thats it, thats all I guess, least according to the '96 manual. I thought it would be peddle position that would determine on/off (as well as EOT) of the EBPV, referred to as the back pressure device above.

I know on my white/silver stock truck it comes on (EBPV) now that it's cooler out, laughed out loud the other day as I had totally forgotten about this "feature". It wouldn't come just after startup or idle but when I had depressed the peddle a bunch like at 40 kms (30mph) almost seems to stay on at too high an RPM. Anyways when I get time will be "modifying this feature" right off the engine....EBPV, actuation cylinder, piston assembly too and related keerap.

jrc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.