couple questions from a new obs'er - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to diesel hubbz
couple questions from a new obs'er

hey everyone.

i finally opened up my 95 with a diy intake, 3 inch dp, 4inch straight pipe, gauges and edge ez chip. i like it but am kind of disapointed. I WANT MORE POWER!!!

im looking into fabbing and intercooler set up, TW chip, DIY 160cc injectors, a 17* hpop, and a bigger turbo (not sure which ones best yet)

i found a guy in my area selling a bunch of engine parts of an early 99 7.3L my questions are which of the following parts can be swapped to an obs? which parts would be worth swapping? all of these are stock parts with 97k mi.

the guy has pistons, turbo kit, heads, oil pumps, water pump, diesel fuel injectors, and other miscellaneous parts

im interested in the turbo, y pipe, oil pump, (only if its 17*) heads? is any of this stuff worth buying? if not what is a good turbo to go with if im fabbing an intercooler setup with 160cc injectors and 17* pump?

any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Infidel

Hey Diesel,
From what I have heard / been told the inter cooler is one great way to increase your power. Of course the other add on you are wanting will help out as well.
Craig
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I wouldn't get anything he has except maybe the HPOP and 3" intakes and Y if he has them. Get a H2e.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
don't forget the tranny...

and welcome to the .org :]
Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappeetxnR.N. View Post
Hey Diesel,
From what I have heard / been told the inter cooler is one great way to increase your power. Of course the other add on you are wanting will help out as well.
Craig
An intercooler won't do anything for you unless you add more fuel...
Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel hubbz View Post
hey everyone.

i finally opened up my 95 with a diy intake, 3 inch dp, 4inch straight pipe, gauges and edge ez chip. i like it but am kind of disapointed. I WANT MORE POWER!!!

im looking into fabbing and intercooler set up, TW chip, DIY 160cc injectors, a 17* hpop, and a bigger turbo (not sure which ones best yet)

i found a guy in my area selling a bunch of engine parts of an early 99 7.3L my questions are which of the following parts can be swapped to an obs? which parts would be worth swapping? all of these are stock parts with 97k mi.

the guy has pistons, turbo kit, heads, oil pumps, water pump, diesel fuel injectors, and other miscellaneous parts

im interested in the turbo, y pipe, oil pump, (only if its 17*) heads? is any of this stuff worth buying? if not what is a good turbo to go with if im fabbing an intercooler setup with 160cc injectors and 17* pump?

any help would be appreciated.

If its an early 99, it DOES NOT have the 17* HPOP. They didn't start using the 17* mid model year 99.(99.5's, i.e. late 99's and up)
Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to diesel hubbz
10-4 on that... after i posted i found out about the hpop.

yeah caryt im definatly thinkin about the hypermax kit with that h2e. or would it be cheaper to fabricate the setup and just by the turbo?

taylorking dont worry im not forgetting the tranny right now she has only 20k on the rebuild with a shift kit. im ponying up for a gearvendors overdrive unit. if it blows up after that than im going to be pissed and have to shell out the coin on an ats or something.

im going to do a couple of maintain's freebee mods this weekend like the fpr shim, the "stock jake brake," the zoodad, and the 10k resistor.

thanks for the help guys! i love this site!!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Ole White

WELCOME TO ORG! ! !
Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K View Post
An intercooler won't do anything for you unless you add more fuel...
I might not be getting the full potintial, but I can tell a difference scince I added the the intercooler.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM

Intercoolers don't really add power. Maybe a couple but very minimal if anything. Even with more fuel it's not going to be a big power adder. It's more for EGT control. If you have a very smoky truck where the cooler can help burn a little more of that fuel then you might start seeing some gains but don't expect any more than 15-20hp.

The only thing that early 99 has that you might want is the Y pipe and the injectors. With those injectors and your injectors you can swap the right parts to make the 160cc injectors. But I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for them because the parts you need out of them to make your injectors 160cc are only about $140.00. The early '99s don't have 3" intakes either.

As for the turbo the H2E kit would be your best option if you want to spend that kind of money. It also allows for many more options down the road to go bigger and not have to completely refab everything. Or you could get a hold of an H2E or a different turbo and fab it all up. That's going to be the cheapest but the most work.

Your tranny is probably going to need a rebuid shortly after the injectors. It may last a few months but if you beat on it very hard it's not going to hold up. Unless it was built by someone who actually knows how to build them, which I have yet to see any "local tranny shops" have that capability, it's not going to hold up to the extra power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.