performance upgrade (beat a dead horse to death) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
performance upgrade (beat a dead horse to death)

I HAVE SEARCHED! SO DONT KICK MY NADS!

Anyways, i was looking around, and seeing what turbos i could put in a 97 7.3... not a whole lot of "kit" options. but then i came across a thread where people are spouting out ideas of turbos. then it hit me: fab up your own setup. DUH!

so, for a 97 f350, auto CC LB Dually, i was thinking of a 3" DP to 4" TB, AFE stg. 2, DIY Stage 2 injectors (im in ca, so i have split shots, ill address later), and TS 6 Pos. tuner.

Injectors, if i get a tuner, could i go to single shots while keeping my tuner on stage 2 or 3 the whole time? or would it jack it up beyond belief?

So, turbo wise, could i go with a industrial injection phat 71? im not sure about all this turbo upgrading stuff, especially on a budget (thats why im asking) so if someone could shed some light on this. id appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 12:41 AM
one day at a time

Beans Diesel Dominator 66 (D66) is the only drop in replacement turbo for your truck. If you're only talking about stage 2 sticks it will be all you should need. Go with single shot injectors and you should have enough oil to fire them, maybe upgrade your HPOP. A Tony Wildman or DP tuner flip chip can be custom burnt to control it all. Don't forget your tranny to.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSMOKIN View Post
Injectors, if i get a tuner, could i go to single shots while keeping my tuner on stage 2 or 3 the whole time? or would it jack it up beyond belief?
Tuner??? You are kidding right?

With all that, you will need a custom CHIP that is burnt to your specs, LIVE TUNING would be the best
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSMOKIN View Post
So, turbo wise, could i go with a industrial injection phat 71? im not sure about all this turbo upgrading stuff, especially on a budget (thats why im asking) so if someone could shed some light on this. id appreciate it.
The mounting kit would be quite a bit of work but if you can fab, anything is possible.

The H2E kit would be a good choice also
Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K View Post
Tuner??? You are kidding right?

With all that, you will need a custom CHIP that is burnt to your specs, LIVE TUNING would be the best
ah ****. where could i get that done? anywhere in CA?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM

also, when i saw a post somewhere about DIY injectors, they were 130CC injectors. looking at beans, it looks like stage 1's will do quite fine for me. Assuming 160CCs can roll a poopload of coal.

Looking at beans, the 66 turbo looks nice, but, i think ill do that later, but before injectors, because as a kid (eek) cash is tight, so mild mods first. ill take care of flow in and out, then chip, then tranny, then turbo, so ill be prepared for it.

The stage 3 kit combo looks real good though! 345 approx increase (so thats probably 275 real) all for 2.5K

just out of curiosity, how much can a suncoast w/ triple disk hold? Im in CA, so suncoast is like a 6 hour drive, so i could drive there, drop it off, and maybe have it done by then end of the day, if i get there early in the morning.

Last edited by POWERSMOKIN; 07-24-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:28 PM

the chip i want to get is a TW too, so isnt that custom burned?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM

Yeah you could always buid your own turbo set up. That's what I did and I'll be doing another one hopefully before long. It's not hard if you have some fabrication skills. The nice thing is your options are endless! I'd try to build it with a T4 flange though so you have more options of what will fit on it once you get it built. If you want to just buy a kit Hypermax's H2E kit is the only real option but it does leave the door open for larger turbos later as many other turbos will fit on that mounting kit.

As for your injectors you will have to get all new P&Bs for them because they are split shots. It's much more expensive than the standard Stage I injectors usually are because usually you just have to machine or replace the intensifier pistons with the ones you have now. So just be aware of that when it comes time for injectors.

If you are talking about having Suncoast buid you a complete tranny then it should hold up fine to the stage I or II injectors.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 PM

ok, i was expectin to pay around 1.2K for injectors.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 PM

You will probably be a touch over that but not to much depending on where you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.