Best Stage 1 Injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Stage 1 Injectors?

Hi everyone, looks like I'm going to be putting stage 1's in my truck (1997 F 250) and was wondering which are the best. There are several out there and I haven't read anything bad about any of them so I was hoping to get a little feedback from those of you who have them or know anything about them. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well being a stage I uses the stock nozzles there really isn't much if any difference between them. The only real difference is if your injectors have worn parts like worn out nozzles that need to be replaced the only way to test them is if you flow test the injectors so I'd stick to a shop that at least does that. The other option is to buy new Alliant AC injectors. If yours have a ton of miles on them and are pretty worn then that might be the better way to go anway.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They have 182,000 on them and just don't seem to be flowing like they used to. With my chip cranked up the truck runs like crap, turned down to the 40 hp setting it runs perfectly. All of my sensor readings are good, fuel pressure is good, HPOP is new and strong ,and I'm not getting any codes with the auto enginuity scan tool. The only thing I can figure is that the injectors just can't flow what the chip is requiring any more. It used to do fine but has gradually gotten weaker and weaker. The injectors pass the buzz test and cylinder contribution test, the only problem is when I try to push the truck hard with the chip on the higher settings. Any more thoughts?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
I sent my stock injectors to Jim @ Rosewood diesel and upgraded them to stage 1s. he was very good to me in more ways than 1 and I will give him more business if i get the chance. he will do any injector work i ever need in the future. he will also address any concerns you may have over the phone before you send anything his way.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 AM

It could be fuel pressure related. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can install while driving? With stock injectors it shouldn't be an issue if your fuel pump is up to par but if it's not pumping like it should then that could be your problem. Also how long has it been since you replaced your fuel filter?

With that many miles on the injectors they are kind of hit or miss. If the oil has been changed regularly then it's likely that they may still be servicable. If not then they could just be flat worn out.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge that I can connect while driving but the fuel pump is brand new as is the fuel filter. I also completely disassembled the fuel pressure regulator and cleaned it. The only other possibility I was considering was maybe a blockage in the pickup in the fuel tanks causing low flow volume. That would explain why fuel pressure is good at idle but then falls off when I need more volume. Is this anything you have ever heard of or experienced? The reason I ruled this out is because the truck runs fine at high rpm under heavy load with the chip cranked up, the problem is only when the truck is loaded in overdrive at low rpm with my foot in it. (It stumbles and misfires on high chip setting) If it was a fuel pressure/volume issue wouldn't it run like crap at high load/rpm too due to fuel demand and inability to deliver? So this leads me back to thinking it is in the injectors. Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just took out the fuel filter to look at it, when you mentioned it, I started thinking about how old it was....I just installed it about two months ago but it has about about 5,000 miles on it which was way more than I thought. When just looking at it, it appears to be clean, but when I run a small screwdriver along the pleats, a film of black oily stuff comes off on the blades. Is this normally what the filter picks up or is it something else? There is no discoloration of the fuel in the bowl but the filter is covered with this film of crud that is only apparent when scraping the filter pleats. I'm going to go get a new filter right now and see if it helps. I have heard about injector o-rings causing problems similar to this and I was thinking maybe this is indicative of that problem. The truck has never had any injector work done to it so the o-rings are original.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM

A tell tale sign that the o-rings are going bad is the fuel being dark with oil. The film on the filter could be an early warning sign. If they have stock o-rings on them they are most likley due. They don't usually last that long until yo get the updated ones.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 PM

gts, what advantage besides the obivious aftermarket stuff do i get by swapping to the GEN II HPOP. thanks Lee
Old 07-24-2008, 11:44 PM

The Gen II is actually no longer available. The newer Gen III system actually has more flow potential and is about half the price.

Honestly if you don't go to big single shot injectors or B codes an oil system just isn't worth the cost. The obvious advantages of the oil system are better response and the ability to run the larger injectors and maintain hpo pressure. The specific advantages with the kit is it's more cost effective than most any other kit on the market as well as it has more flow potential than any other kit on the market. It's also simpler to install than any other kit on the market. The bad thing about it is you have to move the fuel bowl to install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.