Banks intercooler install ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks intercooler install ?

Hey I am getting ready to dig in to install my banks intercooler. I was wondering if anyone has some completed install pics of the cuts to the radiator support and numerous pics from different angles. I could use some helpful advice or tips during the process. And I was also wondering if there are some short cuts. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

I don't have any pictures of mine right now but if you print this out it includes the templates at the end that show you how much is needed to be cut from the core support.

Banks IC install sheet

-install the boots to the IC first, not the pipes

- be mindful of how you position your clamps. Sucks to install everything and then go for final torque and the clamp would be a lot easier to get to if it were flipped

-Banks doesn't say to (I feel they compensate for this in their tuning) but move the MAP line to the boost port on the hot pipe and plug the old MAP port.

-I didn't need to cut my hood latch support like it says in the instructions but noticed after I had cut it. Try to assemble/mock first before cutting. Makes for a stronger latch support.

-both of my pipes needed to be cut down to fit right

-be very careful when bending the A/C line and the PS line to fit the hot side pipe. Use a piece of 5/8" ID rubber hose ziptied over the A/C lines to prevent rubbing

-cutting with a fine toothed saws-all is fine....but so is using a torch

-it's not very often that you have the front end apart. Do consider replacing the LPOP, water pump, and trans cooler (if you have a Auto) at the same time. For that matter look at your headlights and consider that this is the time to upgrade/replace them. Fix leaks while you have easy access

-have four of these in the correct sizes of the two Rad hoses and the two Auto cooler lines: Hose Pinch Pliers

-getting the stone guard off the front end requires about 2 feet of extensions of you go at it from the wheel well

- I installed mine at the same time as the Banks 1.0 housing and Banks exhaust so the whole install took 2 days

............that's all I can think of at the moment. Good Luck!

Last edited by BigFuel; 10-24-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow that is awesome! If u think of anything else lmk!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does anyone here have a banks IC? I was wondering if your boost gauge stopped fluttering when u moved it from the map line to the port on driver side boost tube? I almost have my truck done and was jw if anyone had experience with it.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Boost gauge on mine has never fluttered at either port.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine has bad, once I hit 15 pounds she jumps around
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
I don't have any pictures of mine right now but if you print this out it includes the templates at the end that show you how much is needed to be cut from the core support.

Banks IC install sheet

-install the boots to the IC first, not the pipes

- be mindful of how you position your clamps. Sucks to install everything and then go for final torque and the clamp would be a lot easier to get to if it were flipped

-Banks doesn't say to (I feel they compensate for this in their tuning) but move the MAP line to the boost port on the hot pipe and plug the old MAP port.

-I didn't need to cut my hood latch support like it says in the instructions but noticed after I had cut it. Try to assemble/mock first before cutting. Makes for a stronger latch support.

-both of my pipes needed to be cut down to fit right

-be very careful when bending the A/C line and the PS line to fit the hot side pipe. Use a piece of 5/8" ID rubber hose ziptied over the A/C lines to prevent rubbing

-cutting with a fine toothed saws-all is fine....but so is using a torch

-it's not very often that you have the front end apart. Do consider replacing the LPOP, water pump, and trans cooler (if you have a Auto) at the same time. For that matter look at your headlights and consider that this is the time to upgrade/replace them. Fix leaks while you have easy access

-have four of these in the correct sizes of the two Rad hoses and the two Auto cooler lines: Hose Pinch Pliers

-getting the stone guard off the front end requires about 2 feet of extensions of you go at it from the wheel well

- I installed mine at the same time as the Banks 1.0 housing and Banks exhaust so the whole install took 2 days

............that's all I can think of at the moment. Good Luck!
I didn't see that the hood latch needed to be cut in the instructions? Maybe I missed that. I'm putting mine here in a few weeks. I know the header panel needs trimmed.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just got it done. Did not need to adjust pipes. Put boots on the IC first then attach pipes then attach the intake pipes to motor and pipe that exits turbo. But make sure u have the bolts to intake mounted just not tightened.mit is much easier to put pipes in boots then attack the pipes by turbo later. Also u have to mess with the clamps by the intercooler and pipes. E sketch u get from banks is pretty accurate but u have to move and pry the intercooler and pipes til get her set up right. When I moved my boost line from map to hot side she did not bounce near ax much.mall went well. Lmk if I can help anyone!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
...cut my hood latch support like it says in the instructions.....makes for a stronger latch support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got4wd View Post
I didn't see that the hood latch needed to be cut in the instructions? Maybe I missed that. I'm putting mine here in a few weeks. I know the header panel needs trimmed.
Page 15 Fig. 14 where it says "remove this portion". That center post in the picture is the what supports the hood latch. In the end I didn't need to cut out those two lower sections but I had before mocking things back together. Oh well.

Last edited by BigFuel; 11-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Page 15 Fig. 14 where it says "remove this portion". That center post in the picture is the what supports the hood latch. In the end I didn't need to cut out those two lower sections but I had before mocking things back together. Oh well.
Maybe I'm not seeing something here or the wording between us is different. The hood latch is connected to the core support and not the header panel. The hood latch with the banks kit shoud be fine. You pointed out out the lower header panel needs cut in the instructions but your saying it doesn't need to be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.