im new, need help , advice, explainations... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
im new, need help , advice, explainations...

whats up guys, just stumbled across this site.. thumped threw it for a bit, so now i have a few questions .. i just bought a 95 f350 dually ext. cab with the 7.3.. it has 100,000 miles on it, straight though exhaust pipe, intake, and im told a k&n chip.. was also told it has bigger injectors but i dont know. it has 4:11's in the rear too (2wd). so here goes..

why is everyone saying that a chip is better for these trucks than a programmer?

is the one i have any good? what's the big difference between a custom tuned chip? where are they sold? how do you get it programmed? i really need a good explaination about them, and the differences between them and a programmer. i though a programmer would be better.. like a banks..

how do i tell if my injectors are upgraded?

if i already have a k&n chip, can i still use a programmer? what is stacking chips mean? how do you choose different programs on a chip? do they even have more than one program?

ive noticed its very hard to find many aftermarket stuff for my 95.. does anyone know of a good site? i cant even find nice seat covers..

anyone know where i can get an guage overlay kit for my truck? like a white faced guage kit?

what should and shouldnt i do to this truck outside of intake/exhaust/chip or programmer?

if anyone has a truck of simialr year with alot of aftermarket exterior work can you please post pics to give me some ideas. not looking to lift, just make it look nice..

does anyone know if clear roof light lens's are made for a 95 and where can i get them..

any info/help is greatly appreciated... please keep in mind im not yet familiar with the lingo or abbreviations yet.

does anyone else have 4:11's and installed a gear vendors overdrive?

and finally PLEASE let me know what are the best websites to get stuff for this year 7.3 and truck.. it seems like nobody bothers making any of the little things that i wanna get just to make it look nicer..

oh.. one last thing... i really wanted to get a tail gate net made buy turbonet.. it has metal bars running acroos the top and bottom inside the net to keep it from sagging and blowing around in the wind. unfortunately, they dont make one long enough for my truck.. anybody know of a similat style net that fits??

really , thanks alot for any help... i hate being the newbie..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 11:14 PM

to answer you chip question, chips plug directly into your pcm on your truck. with a custom chip, you help match settings on your truck and optimize performance.
a lot of guys here use SCT xcaliber III programmers. they are some of the best on the market and you can have them custom tuned to match you trucks settings. you should check with some of the sponsors here and i'm sure they can get you a great deal. stacking chips is bad, it can cause damage from what i've heard. before doing hot programs it is recommended that you have supporting mods such as exhaust, intake and an EGT TEMP GAUGE- very important. once again, check with vendors on site. good luck and welcome to the org
Old 07-20-2008, 03:05 AM

Going with a custom chip allows you greater flexibility with better programs, IMO, than going with a programmer. And if you're thinking about upgrading injectors, the programmers simply don't work well, from what I am told, with modified injectors. Not first hand experience, but hands down input from my customers is there's nothing like a custom chip.

As for injectors, the only way to tell for sure if they are modified is to open them up for inspection. A less accurate way is to add a high hp chip and if it smokes quite a bit when you get on it, the injectors are most likely modded. If there's a little more smoke, then probably not. 'Course the problem with that is everyone has a different opinion of what a lot of smoke is.

These older trucks need to be woken up. Big air filter, 3" down pipe with a straight 4" exhaust, Pyro & Boost gauges (trans temp gauge if you have an auto), Stage-1 injectors, and a good custom chip really make for a nice, powerful, all around fun truck.

Chip: You can contact Jody at DP-Tuner, they are a sponsor here listed up in the Sponsor forums.
Injectors: I can help you there.
As for the other stuff, you got me, I'm not into bling stuff... But check up in the Sponsors Forum here first, and ask more questions.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 PM

thanks for the input so far.. still not clear in these custom chips.. as far as them "being programed to match my truck", does that mean i physically bring the truck somewhere so its tested for lets say, actual timing/ boost/hp.. ?? or is it more simply, they ask me what has been done, and they just come up with a program from there depending on what im looking to achieve... also, my understanding is a chip will only hold one program, and the truck will run with those settings constantly. not givng me the flexibilty to choose say, from a stock setting, or a race setting at the flip of a switch. (or turn of a dial for that matter).. im assuming that is the advantage of a programmer vs. a chip. that a programmer will allow me to jog the tune of the truck between 3 or 5 programs at the touch of a button.. am i completely wrong about this?

on another note, i use to be a very active member in another forum for my car.(a maxima). on the maxima.org forums, the moderators had set up a seperate forum filled entirely with "sticky" posts which consisted of a beginners guide for the new members. they would explain all the different types of mods availabe for the car, how they worked, what kind of difference they would actually make, where to buy, and explained all the common abbreviations other members used for certian mods.. you know, to " learn the lingo". it was basically so people did not have to spend time answering the same questions over and over again for new members. they also had an excellent "how-to" area which was a culmination of all of the threads members had put together with in-depth explainations, pictures and directions on how to install mods and fix all sorts of things. is there anything like that here so i dont bore you people with the same stuff? if not, is there a moderator or anyone that we could possibly suggest this to?

any help, suggestions, feedback would be great.. my intake and exhaust is already done.. im told theres a chip.. who knows if thats true, and besides id really like to bump up the hp on this truck..
Old 07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
The chips are mated to your PCM... so you need to take out your PCM and tell us the PCM code on it or specifically tell us what year and build date you got so we could look it up...

the TW chip holds up to 6 positions that can be switched on the fly... their is no better way to go for the 7.3L trucks than a chip.... you switch positions via a knob that you mount in the cab...

i like the TW chips because if you ever need to reburn it for like lets say larger injectors just send it back to us and we will reburn it for free....

let me know if you need any prices on the chip or gauges... if your thinking of doing injectors hook up with DZL Jim.. then let us know what injectors you decide on so that the chip can be tuned to them...

-Raul
Old 07-22-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctyphoon View Post
... also, my understanding is a chip will only hold one program, and the truck will run with those settings constantly. not givng me the flexibilty to choose say, from a stock setting, or a race setting at the flip of a switch. (or turn of a dial for that matter).. im assuming that is the advantage of a programmer vs. a chip. that a programmer will allow me to jog the tune of the truck between 3 or 5 programs at the touch of a button.. am i completely wrong about this?
You've got Chip and Programmer backwards, I believe.
A 'chip' is added to your PCM and can hold as many as 1 or 16 different tunes depending who you get it from, and can easily be switched on the fly (but not under load! )
A Programmer will only hold 1, it replaces the tune in the computer without having to install a 'chip'. I have no first hand knowledge of programmers, but that's my understanding of them.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 PM

so what will a tw chip cost me?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM

Tranny

If you have an auto E40D tranny put some thought into that also. I have a '96 with 308,000 tranny's had to get rebuilt twice. The last time I put a triple disc convertor and upgraded vavle bodies. I'm not a tranny expert but maybe some of the more knowledgeable guys on here will speek up. My thoughts are these tranny's are underbuilt for the 7.3.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

First, welcome to the org.
The chip/programmer I cant help with. I just ordered a TW chip, awaiting its arrival.
As far as any interior pieces, good luck. Their out there, but hard to come by.
Exterior... clear headlight, turn signals, and marker lights really make a difference in the apperance of the OBS (old body style) trucks. I just installed all new lights, grille and headlight bezels in my 96. Not sure about the clear clerance lights.
Engine mods....click on the forums link, scroll down and look for 7.3 mods. Several sticky post to help you out. If you have a K&N filter, get it out of your truck and burn it. They let to much dirt pass, and will eventually dust your turbo. Diesels are extremly
subceptacle to dirt. Go with the DIY tymar set up. Gauges are a must if you start modding.
Trans... if its an auto, and you plan on modding the engine, expect a trans failure, its the weak link. The T/C is notorious for giving out.
Add a good trans cooler, there might be one from the factory, but its not sufficant. Heat kills transmissons. The od light is the check engine light for the trans, if it gets to flashing, theres a problem.
Check my signature for the mods I have done and look in my gallery for some pics.
If you need help or have any questions, were here to help.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 AM

There has been some great info in this thread already.This is the list of mods in order I am doing to my 95.
DIY air filter
Downpipe with exhaust
Gauges
Tony Wildman chip
Then injectors
Surly soon after the injectors it will need a turbo LOL.
I have a 5 spd with a LUK clutch already so I am good there but the autos do not like that much power. I would start researching that if you have an auto. I have heard great things about BTS out of Arkansas for the E4od. JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.