DP tuner and E4OD transmission? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP tuner and E4OD transmission?

Hey guys I'm new here and just wanted to say thanks for all the help, every thing I have done to my truck I have learned from stocking this site lol and I finally made an account. Anyways my question is, I just got a do tuner and wanted to know some cheap ways to make my transmission last a little longer with it. I will be putting a bigger cooler on it soon but other than that what do you recommend? I do use my truck for pulling my 10k trailer 3 to 4 times a year. One other thing is that since I put the tuner on it, it seems to take a little longer to shift to OD (in 80e which is about all I use except when towing) is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 AM
BANNED by Kris

Along with a bigger cooler you can also up your cooler lines to 4R100 (99-03 SuperDuty Autos) cooler lines. This takes your 5/16" lines to 3/8" lines. I had a bad experience using a big aftermarket cooler with the stock cooler still in the system. Take the stock one out. Valve bodies from BTS or John Woods will help getting the power to the ground. 4R100 tranny pan will get you a drain plug for the tranny. Getting the 4x4 tranny pan will get you a little deeper pan and a bigger filter.

As for the tuning, scroll to the top of the page here and find the "search" tab in the black bar and kind of to the right of the screen. Click it and select "Advanced Search". The next page top right will be "User Name". Enter "Justin@DP-Tuner". Ask him directly any question you have about his tuning.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 AM

Cool, I didnt even think about bigger lines I'm going to look into that. A drain plug would be nice on the trans to. I got the truck a year ago and no telling when the transmission was last changed. I wanted to change it a few months back but I was advised not to because its been in there so long that putting new fluid in it can cause the transmission to go out. Any truth to that? Also what's the best fluid or additive I can put into it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman1988 View Post
Hey guys I'm new here and just wanted to say thanks for all the help, every thing I have done to my truck I have learned from stocking this site lol and I finally made an account. Anyways my question is, I just got a do tuner and wanted to know some cheap ways to make my transmission last a little longer with it. I will be putting a bigger cooler on it soon but other than that what do you recommend? I do use my truck for pulling my 10k trailer 3 to 4 times a year. One other thing is that since I put the tuner on it, it seems to take a little longer to shift to OD (in 80e which is about all I use except when towing) is this normal?
Hi there.

What speed is it shifting into OD at?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 AM

Between 50 and 55 depending on how hard I'm mashing on the peddle. Other than that the tuner is awesome it really brought the old truck to life.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Before the Turner it would usually shift at 45.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
BANNED by Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman1988 View Post
Cool, I didnt even think about bigger lines I'm going to look into that. A drain plug would be nice on the trans to. I got the truck a year ago and no telling when the transmission was last changed. I wanted to change it a few months back but I was advised not to because its been in there so long that putting new fluid in it can cause the transmission to go out. Any truth to that? Also what's the best fluid or additive I can put into it?

Changing the fluid is a mixed bag. Myself I do a full fluid swap every year whether she needs it or not. I like my tranny and her passages clean. When it comes to older maybe less cared for trannys some people have had good luck with only dropping the pan and refilling the tranny. Roughly this replaces half the fluid and the filter that may be starting to plug up. Once plugged I believe the fluid bypasses the filter and all the garbage gets everywhere. Replacing half the fluid will get some new stuff in there as well as up the detergent percentage to help start cleaning the guts up. This is where most people get in trouble with fluid swapping. Doing a full swap adds tons of cleaners and detergents to the system that instantly start scrubbing the insides and sending all of the garbage through the tranny that was once stuck to different locations after the filter. Doing mini swaps and changing the filter will only add a little bit of detergents at a time to hopefully clean the tranny slowly and capture all that stuff in the filter. Do this over months and in a year the fluid and system will be clean with minimal risk.

Not doing anything puts a lot of stress on already broken oil. Same as keeping old oil in the motor even through it still looks clean. The fluid is not just for lubrication, it is also a load/stress bearing device.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Sounds like a plan, I would feel a lot better changing half of it than none of it. I was wanting to go synthetic because it helps with heat but I guess that will have to wait a year.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM
BANNED by Kris

Don't use Mercon V. Our trannys like the older stuff. There is a magnet inside of the tranny. If the magnet is just kinda furry your tranny is doing fine. If it is massively furry start to worry. If the fur looks more like chunks then swapping or keep the old fluid is not going to help you.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
also pickup a trans temp gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.