New to the obs diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the obs diesel

Im new to the diesel game. Ive always wanted one, but it just never worked out til now. I bought a 1995 F250 supercab 4x4. it had 295,xxx miles on it when i bought it. Ill be using it as a DD and occasional tow rig for my offroad truck. Ive already done the muffler and cat delete on it using just some pipe from the local muffler shop. I also removed the air box and put the biggest spectre air filter i could find. Those two mods made a huge difference in the performance of the truck.Truck was all stock when i got it.
Are there any problems that I should be aware of with that truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The donaldson B085011, I believe has much more air capacity than a spectre that is oiled? No need for the oil as it restricts airflow and the goal is to get as much air flow as is possible.
B085011 - 6637 - ECB DONALDSON REPLACEMENT FOR NAPA 6637 - Filter Products

As for problems mainly the fuel bowl, the fuel lift pump, injector orings and UVCH connections seem to be the biggest problem topics here.

Last edited by Arcturus; 10-15-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: booboo on oil lift pump? lol
Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
First 4 thing you should do to any 7.3 in this order should be Gauges(egt, boost, and trans temp if automatic), intake(donaldson filter at the link provided above), straight pipe exhaust(new downpipe at the very minimum because stock downpipe is flat and really restricts flow), lastly a chip(at the least a good economy tune, race tune, and tow tune)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM

^^^^^ Those are the biggest _engine_ problems (and it's the fuel pump that's typically more problematic than either oil pump). The biggest problem related to the truck, if so equipped, is the automatic transmission. If it's a manual, by now it's probably had the clutch replaced and hopefully the dual-mass flywheel replaced with a single-mass.

Also look carefully for rust, esp. on the radiator core support and the spring/shock hangers. The Dana 50 TTB front end is a PITA to align and likes to eat tires - rotate frequently. "Real" fix is to swap for a Dana 60 straight axle ("virtual F350"). Steering is the same as the gassers, therefore a bit underengineered. Just watch the threads in the General and Problems sections to get a better feel of what else to watch for.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^^ Those are the biggest _engine_ problems (and it's the fuel pump that's typically more problematic than either oil pump). .
I fixed my post. oil lift pump? What the heck is that? lol
Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
I fixed my post. oil lift pump? What the heck is that? lol
Low pressure oil pump(LPOP)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Low pressure oil pump(LPOP)
That would be better described as the oil _lube_ pump, since that's its primary purpose.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
That would be better described as the oil _lube_ pump, since that's its primary purpose.
But its better NAMED the LPOP
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everybody. I was told by the PO that the trannie had been rebuilt at about 240,000 miles, and Im not hard on a vehicle anyway. A farmer friend of mine told me that if it had 4.10 gears then I would be changing trans every 2 years. I should be ok, ive got 3.55's. The air filter will get upgraded latter on, thats all I could find in town. As will the exhaust. A chip is also in the plans, as are gauges. As far as the TTB, Im more than familiar with that. iI wheeled an 89 ranger with that for about 4 years. finally upgraded to 1 ton running gear. The truck was owned by a company that sells and services forklifts, so the maintenance was done fairly regularly. Im excited about owning this truck, I hope even with the amount of miles that are on this truck that ill still be able to drive it for a long time. Im sure this wont be the last time Ill have questions.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 PM

get a 3" downpipe on it. Total diesel performance sells awesome tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.