injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injectors

has anyone used the DIY stage 2 injector kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM

i heard its the exact same as stage 1s but with a bigger nozzle so it flows more fuel
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM

For the most part any StageI is a 160cc injectors with a stock nozzle and a Stage II is a 160cc injector with a bigger nozzle. Neither will flow more than 160cc off fuel maximum but the stage II will get the fuel out quicker so it will have more bottom end punch.

There have been a lot of guys who have done the DIY thing on their injectors and not had problems but there are a lot of guys who have had problems too. If your injectors are in perfect working order to start as long as you don't mess anything up during the tear down and assembly you might luck out. But if you have any issues to begin with then you are gambling. There are things that need to be checked to make sure the injectors are within wear tolerances and things that you can't fix if they are out but some places like to try to bandaind them anyway. You can never know the condition of the nozzles unless you flow test them. There are special tools needed to do the job properly but you can wing it and pray that it works out. If they do great! If they don't you now have more down time on the truck along with another bill to the fuel shop to fix them so you quite possibly will spend more than just getting a quality set of professionaly built injectors.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM

actually rosewood diy injectors are now flow tested so they are all flowin the same
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPSD9673 View Post
actually rosewood diy injectors are now flow tested so they are all flowin the same
If he's buying an injector kit he's most likely doing them himself. Also I'd be intersted to see just what jim can do with his test stand. From what he's said it sounds like it's a home grown stand. If you can't adjust the pulse width and rpm it's not going to give you a good idea of what's going on.

For example I just had a set that I rebuilt that everything looked great in them. They had some water go through them but the P&Bs looked fine other than a little gunk on everytying on the fuel side. I cleaned them all up and everything looked great. I put them in the test stand and they ballanced out great at say 2000rpm with 800psi ICP and 1.8 ms pulse width. But on the idle test at 600rpm 1.2ms pulse width and 500psi ICP they barely flowed anything and were all over the board. Swapped in new P&Bs and everything was great! If you only test for max flow and only have one or two settings to test by you're not going to be able to see with as great of accuracy what's going on.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPSD9673 View Post
I can thoroughly test them, but do not have it set-up to balance them yet. Big difference.

94 f-250stroker,
As mentioned, and I've tried to make it clear on my site, your injectors should be in good working order to begin with. If they are worn, out of spec, etc. it will complicate your build and decrease your chances of complete success. Only way to know how worn yours are would be to take a bunch of measurements, and disassemble them for internal inspection. There are instructions in every kit to help correct for some of the wear, but in reality you will not know until you dig in and give it a shot.

GTS,
It's irrelevant that my test stand is 'Home grown'. I refuse to spend $30k for something that I built for under $1k. (I had an Injector equipemnt rep in my shop who was speachless when he saw what I built and what I am capable of testing for so little $$$...)
I can crank HPOil pressure to whatever I want up to 3k psi.
I have a custom built IDM to operate the injectors at any rpm and any pw and any shot count I want, via the link to my laptop.
Next step is to rebuild my entire set-up to be able to hold the graduated cylinders for metering, but I simply have not had the time, nor been able to have the bench down for that long to do this.

Last edited by DZL JIM; 07-13-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:14 AM

Jim I didn't mean that being it is "home grown" it isn't capable of working. Just that being "home grown" that I wasn't sure if you'd have the programming ability to set the pw, and rpm. The ICP and supply pressure are easy to make adjustable. However if you can't measure what's comming out accurately then the whole thing is all but worthless. Sounds like you are on the right track though. BTW last I checked the test stands are only about $15K. But I guess that's still $14K more.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:33 AM

I have the 160cc Stage 2 DIY's and they are awesome. The kit and instructions are absolutely awesome and Jim knows his stuff. I would go with a DIY kit again, and if I ever (more like WHEN) I'll be calling Jim for the parts to build some 230cc Hybrids. Rosewood Diesel gets two thumbs up from me.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

I was under the impression that most any part that would wear out on your injectors were replaced when you do this....is this not the case?

Luke
Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke View Post
...However if you can't measure what's comming out accurately then the whole thing is all but worthless...
GTS,
You couldn't be farther from the truth.
Even my first attempt at a test bench proved invaluable, and every upgrade I make helps me find other potential problems that only leads me to produce a better product for my customers.
As it sits right now, my bench is invaluable and is used everyday to help troubleshoot injector problems. And since I have only had maybe 5 or 6 customers over the last 3 years ask about flow balancing, it's just not a big incentive to me to get it done.
I know how valuable balancing is and I'll get there eventually...

Quote:
I was under the impression that most any part that would wear out on your injectors were replaced when you do this....is this not the case?
If you're refering to replacing wear parts with the DIY Kit, the answer is, NO. The primary function of the DIY Kit is to increase fuel flow from properly operating injectors. Certain DIY Kits contain the parts to replace the wear parts, and the DIY Kits have evolved into 'repair Kits' too. But the worse condition your injectors are in, the more work that is involved and the more expensive they'll be to repair.

These injectors do not last forever and need attention like any other mechanical device. And they are not cheap to rebuild. Cheap top overhaul, but not to rebuild...
I bet I've been ask 100 times if the $250 kit will totally rebuild all 8 injectors.
Nope, that costs a LOT more $$$...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.