Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Failure? Newly rebuilt with 1.0 housing

887 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sam Burton 
#1 ·
Hi guys:

My apologies if this is a little long winded.....

I have been reading here for the last couple of years but usually don't post on forums. (Not really the most computer savvy dude) This place has been a great source of information for me since I discovered it. I have been doing mods to my truck for the last couple of years and I believe that I am getting close to being finished what I have started out to achieve.

My truck is a 95 F250 4x4 extended cab, long box with 380 000 kilometers. I have to date completed the following mods:
Dana 60 SAS including all new steering and suspension components
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
AFE Stage 2 intake
New stock injectors
Bar None Electric Fuel Kit
Bar None Bellowed Up Pipes
ISSPRO Guages (pyro, boost, trans temp)
1.0 Turbo housing and rebuild kit

Soon to be followed by six position chip and performance built trans using Torque Converter Specialties goodies. (because it is really a pain in the *** to get John Wood or BTS stuff up here, and TCS is pretty local to me)

Most of the work I have done myself with the help of a mechanic friend. I recently had him put in the e fuel, guages and rebuild the turbo while I was in camp. I just got home today and took it out for the first time since this stuff was put in. Everything was great until.........

I ran it up the local hill where you test your new stuff, test drive vehicles, race your buddies: you know the drill. Everyone has one of these locations in their town.

So it definately had more power. The kind that puts a big grin on your face. It boosted right up to 22psi, EGTs never got above 800 and trans temps below 170. This was during a wide open throttle run up the hill. After cresting the hill, driving along at 110 KM (about 70 mph) for about five minutes with everything looking and sounding normal and then.......

just like someone turned a switch, as I was about to turn off the highway (coasting) the pleasant sound of turbo whistle turned to the most god awful howl I have ever heard my truck make! When I say it was like a switch, I mean instant. I limped my truck to buddy's shop where we had a quick look and he listened with stethoscope and seems to think it was coming from the backside (firewall) between the turbo housing and compressor. Not so pronounced towards the front. When it was idling, there was almost no howl, bump the throttle a bit and it howls like a banshee.

Can you guys help me? We are going to pull the turbo tomorrow, but I have to go back to camp on Monday and think that I am going to have to get the wife to drive me. Was really looking forward to driving my truck and getting used to all the new grin enticing doodads! Sometimes things just don't go the way you want them to.

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like you took out the bearings in the turbo, if you pull the boot to the turbo and have a look at the compressor and give it a spin, and check for slop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.