Stock Clutch Reliability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock Clutch Reliability

I have a 1995 F350 Dually with a manual transmission. Truck currently has a Farmboy Diesel downpipe and straight exhaust and a DIY intake. Truck has 130K miles on it. I drive this truck everyday, tow around 6-9K at least 3-4 times a month and tow 15K plus 5-6 times a year long distance.

I am thinking about adding either a TS Performance or a TW chip along with a set of gauges to the truck. How much power can I safely use from these chips without harming the clutch? What about when towing? My clutch feels nice and solid, but I think it will be due for replacement in the next year or so. Any harm done by using either of these chips daily and towing as long as I keep boost and EGT's in check? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump1986 View Post
I have a 1995 F350 Dually with a manual transmission. Truck currently has a Farmboy Diesel downpipe and straight exhaust and a DIY intake. Truck has 130K miles on it. I drive this truck everyday, tow around 6-9K at least 3-4 times a month and tow 15K plus 5-6 times a year long distance.

I am thinking about adding either a TS Performance or a TW chip along with a set of gauges to the truck. How much power can I safely use from these chips without harming the clutch? What about when towing? My clutch feels nice and solid, but I think it will be due for replacement in the next year or so. Any harm done by using either of these chips daily and towing as long as I keep boost and EGT's in check? Thanks.

well ive got a chip on mine and ive been told the max hp out of our sticks are around 75hp,and with my chip i havent had any clutch problems,and i run mine on the 80hp setting daily,its definitly a big improvement,but not big enough to make your clutch slip.although ive never towed 15k with it either.in my experience i would say with a chip you have nothing to worry about.goodluck
Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 PM

I've seen trucks handle 100hp, and Ive seen some go boom on 50. Its really a crap shoot.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump1986 View Post

Is the clutch STOCK? or has it been replaced?

If you start with a WEAK clutch, and then add more power, something has to give and more than likely you will have to replace it sooner then latter.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:42 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I have a stock replacement LUK clutch and it did fine with my old SCT microtuner, even when towing. Now with my new injectors, it starts slipping when pulling over 10,000lbs.

If you have a good clutch now, I don't see the chip killing it any faster than a stock truck would. But, the more you abuse a clutch, the sooner it will fail. I can still tow with mine as long as I take it easy getting up to speed.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Whats the most cost effective clutch to get to handle the extra power?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimits View Post
Whats the most cost effective clutch to get to handle the extra power?
Many members here like the south bend con ofe. You can also look at the Valair system.

How much extra power do you plan on adding and how much weight will you be towing?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM

not much towing but hope to have 300 to 400 hp to the ground.

do you think the Zoom HP4000-1 would hold up to that kind of power?

I plan on pulling this truck after I have enough $ to pull the motor and modify it so I just want a good cheap clutch to hold up to stage 1 injectors and a few other mods right now.

Last edited by NoLimits; 06-09-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 AM

it is a stock clutch right now, but when it goes i am planning on adding a valair clutch and single mass flywheel conversion so i won't have to worry about it again.

similar question related to the chips, i am looking at buying a used TS chip from someone here on the forums. the chip is burned for a 1997 manual tranny and my truck is a 1995 manual tranny. do i still need to get a reburn to make it work?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

no i dont think you do but im not a 100% for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.